T'ship Planning Commission

Mortenson

5 year old buck +
I just agreed to be on our newly formed township planning commission. We are small and rural. Anyone here ever done this? And do you have any tips, links, thoughtful readings, etc. you can provide to help me begin learning what's expected of me? We have one major development headed our way that I already know about. Probably going to be hot and heavy from the get go. Thanks in advance.

Get used to ruffling feathers! You'll probably have some new "friends" all the sudden as well.

I just agreed to be on our newly formed township planning commission. We are small and rural. Anyone here ever done this? And do you have any tips, links, thoughtful readings, etc. you can provide to help me begin learning what's expected of me? We have one major development headed our way that I already know about. Probably going to be hot and heavy from the get go. Thanks in advance.

Welcome ... you are now a target! :emoji_grin:

I have been on several small boards and local associations. The biggest issues i dealt with were...
- Most people are emotional about an issue, very little factual thinking or actual objective reasoning about pros/cons, long term impact, costs, etc.
- Usually 2 sides form on an issue and you will be lobbied by both. Accept you can't please everyone.
- Inside the commission there be power struggles especially if you don't think like them, or if a small sub group forms to try and wrestle control.
- Probably most important .... When you are asked questions, best to keep your opinions close to the vest and ask them more questions to learn where they stand. Yo may also gain insight on things you had not considered.

Try and access what the current zoning laws are, look for any planning docs in place to understand where things stand currently. These should help you understand the culture of planning for the community.

Are there other township depts you will interact with or who will have input? Good to build relationships with other key people as they can help build perspective.

Does the commission have any bylaws, operating agreement, etc? Good to get your hands around actual written governing docs so you have a basis for your position on things. If the commission does not have a mission statement, that would be a good place to start.

You'll be criticized for every thing you say and do. Good luck and hang in there.

Remember when they start voting on stuff….

Abstain is a valid answer also. :emoji_grin:

All and all I’d say you’ll make lots of friends. (Joke).

Just remember…development is forever. So unless the citizens of the community have an overwhelming desire for their land, lives and community to change FOREVER vote no.

Depending on how the board is structured, you may want to consider a universal liability insurance policy.

I just got elected to city council again as I had been off for 15 years and have been involved in small town politics for years.Read what they have now and see what needs updated as most plans don't get looked at often.We always try to develop from city limits out. Also know your states laws on having to provide areas that are annexed utilities,can be a costly deal if it slips by.Protect the people that already own ground and the ones that live there now.Some areas around a city alittle ways from us has had areas to shoot in their back yards and now a pasture was sold and housing addition built and the new house owners don't like it and are trying to stop them.Always just say I will check on it and find the answer instead of making something up and treat people fairly while voting for what the majority thinks is right.