True, False,Fact or Fiction

tooln

5 year old buck +
Ok I’m going to throw this out there cause I was thinking about it today. Don’t ask me why but I was. I guess my mind work in mysterious ways. I’ve heard this some time ago and was wondering if there is anything too it.

I heard that if you use the same soap all the time and take the little slivers that you could lose in your butt crack and put them in your hunting area the deer get accustomed to the smell of that soap. Sounds logical, has anyone ever heard or tried this? Did it work if you did try it?

Why do you want to leave the soap in your butt crack? Wouldn't it be easier to just take some out with you and leave it in the blind?

Sounds logical except it may cause a sore butt crack.

I heard that if you use the same soap all the time and take the little slivers that you could lose in your butt crack and put them in your hunting area the deer get accustomed to the smell of that soap. Sounds logical, has anyone ever heard or tried this? Did it work if you did try it?

OK I guess I asked for it, so I'll t y p e r e a l l y s l o w t h i s t i m e but I did say COULD. Nov. I do believe this is your first speedo reference here.

Seriously has anyone ever heard of this before?

Given enough time deer can become accustomed to any odor. The key is time... You can rub vaseline on feeder legs to keep the coons from climbing it and eventually the deer will go right back to it if they don't relate it to bad experiences...

I have often wondered something similar...not so much deer getting used to butt crack soap scent...but more so residual human scent. I spend a decent amount of time out side of hunting season on the property doing work....it is common for me to get trail cam pics of deer just a few minutes after I have left and the deer don't seem to be on high alert either.
I remember one encounter on a property i used to hunt. one morning i had a group of does, the usual suspects that i saw frequently, walk right up my entry trail without showing the slightest bit of alarm. About 30 mins later a nice buck that i had never seen before was approaching perpendicular to my entry trail...as soon as he hit the trail he put his nose in the dirt, snapped his head up looking around alarmingly before finally stomping and blowing as he turned around ran back the way he had just come from. he crossed my scent trail about 2.5 hours after I had walked in. My scent hadn't bothered the does that were around frequently...because i had never even tried to shoot them, nor did they know i was up in my stand...never picked me off. But that buck detected some human ordor and did not like it one bit.

Lol, omg guys. The shavings lost in the 'ol butt crack routine, kills 'em everytime.

Wayyyyyyy tooooooo many visuals in this thread...

Hmmmm. Plausible. Good task for Mythbusters? :confused:

How about a video for U tube?

I wipe my sweat on as many trees as I can. I get deer walking up on me after doing this 3 years. Hunting season, summer - they don't spook.

Could also explain why the turkey don't mind me at all either.

Does human odor matter with turkeys?

No, turkeys have no sense of smell like almost all birds.

I think deer become accustomed to my scent on the farm and my activities. I sprayed a clump of Johnson Grass with gly once that was in front of a trail cam and had two mature buck on the cam an hour later standing within a foot of where I sprayed. Not sure about the soap but sounds reasonable. I keep gasoline and a mower in a building where I have a cam and deer are around it all the time. You can pour gas out on the ground there - as I have accidentally done - and it won't make any difference.

I was thinking the turkeys were more related to turkey vultures, which do have a very good sense of smell. Show's you how much I know about game birds. :)

I have deer sniff my cams quite often. I make no attempt to hide my scent on the cams either.

I was thinking the turkeys were more related to turkey vultures, which do have a very good sense of smell. Show's you how much I know about game birds. :)

I have deer sniff my cams quite often. I make no attempt to hide my scent on the cams either.
I remember a story about when Ben Franklin and the gang were picking our national bird. Ben said it should be the turkey as it tasted so great. He described the turkey with it's scaly head.

A person from west of the mountains said they had those same birds, too, and they tasted awful.

turkey versus turkey vulture.

I often have both at my property. Haven't tried eating either yet. :p

I am positive that our resident does are used to my scent. I often walk up on them pretty close before they move. Last year I was walking out and there were 2 feeding in a plot 40 yards from me. They saw me and continued to feed I watched them for a few minutes. All of a sudden they bolted and 5 minutes later another hunter came walking over the hill.

I agree that deer get used to your scent as long as it isn't a threat. Funny because my buddy who hunts my place has a much more difficult time hunting. Oh, wait he only comes out once season opens. Maybe I will tell him about the soap in the crack trick he seems to be into gimics as well!