Tree Cage Diameter for Hardwoods?

TimberHawk

A good 3 year old buck
How big is everyone making their tree cages for hardwoods? I did a search on the forum and found information for conifer cages, but didn't see any info for hardwood. I'm mostly looking for protection from deer rubbing and browsing off the tops of the tree. If they nip off the edges of the branches, I'm not that concerned as long as the leader is ok. It seems to me that a 2' diameter cage would be plenty, but I thought it would be worth tapping into the knowledge base rather than wishing I would have. For inquiring minds, my fence material is 5' welded wire fence and the trees will be roughly 2' bareroot saplings. Thanks in advance.

I will also be using some tree tubes on other trees to see what method I like better. Either way, they need to be protected or the deer hammer them.

Last edited:
I measure out a 10 foot length and cut it there. 50 foot roll gives me 5 cages. I’m not sure what diameter it comes out to be but it works.

You’ll like cages much better.

You’ll like cages much better.
Thanks for the quick response, Bill. 10' circumference would put it at roughly a 3' diameter. Do you use two posts on opposing sides or would the welded fencing be strong enough to support itself with just one post?

Last edited:
I use 15' of masonry wire. It makes a 5' cage. Inside that I put a 4'x4' piece of weed mat with the tree coming out the middle. On top of the weed mat I pour a couple bags of pea gravel. On the tree trunk, try to put window screen for the bottom foot or so. I use two posts. One is probably enough.

I haven't been at this a long time. But, if I'm going to plant them then mostly ignore them, I want to start them out with as good a chance as I can.

I just use 1 t post. They could “in theory” crush in one side to nibble. But they don’t. And I have high deer numbers.

2' would be fine. As you said, browsing side branches is no issue as long as the main leader is not touched. You will need at least 4', 5' better, to keep them off main leader at 2' diameter.

I use tubes on all my hardwoods except walnuts.But if you cage they will grow slower but there are some advantages to that.If you use the 3 ft diameter just watch tree as it gets older you will have to prune lower brantches. When my trrees fill the tubes I cut them off and make cages about a foot bigger than tree so bucks don't rub.I secure usually with one wire in case I forget about it or miss taking one off.

I don't think there is a wrong way. We have used 5' diameter cages, smaller cages, and even tree tubes. Mostly it has depended on what we had on hand and cost.

My dad used 10" and 12" diameter cages on the farm in the 60s and 70s for hardwoods. The trees turned out fine. The deer nipped off the branches sticking out the sides, but then he didn't have to trim those branches off.

I agree with the single post suggestion. That's what we use.

I have also raised my wire 2 ft off ground as tree grew to protect from browsing never had an issue but this was with fruit trees that I had stapled screen wire around trunk

Sincere thanks to everyone for the help!

I measure out a 10 foot length and cut it there. 50 foot roll gives me 5 cages. I’m not sure what diameter it comes out to be but it works.

Circumference is pi times diameter.

Diameter is circumference divided by pi.

10 divided by 3.14159 is a diameter of about 3.2 feet.

A 5 foot diameter cage requires about 15.7 feet of fence.

We use 4 shipping pallets and screw them together in the top corners. These are three years old. Has worked well for us.IMG_2036 2.jpeg

Treespud - I like that option. I might try and establish some chickasaw plum trees that way..

With chickasaw plums just put in ground and they grow and if bucks rub they grow more they also spread by the roots,These are spring and winter pics of almost same spot.Don't know why photos so blurry,Thats a 6 ft step ladder.Now I plant in rows wide enough to brush hog in between around 8ft and let NWSG grow up between rows.I have planted a couple thousand that have turned into around 8=10 shrub plots

Attachments

• sandhill1.jpg
    sandhill1.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 30
  • chickisaw plums.jpg
    chickisaw plums.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 29