Transplanting eastern red cedar

Howboutthemdawgs

5 year old buck +
I need to fill in a road screen. I have plenty of cedar on my place. I’ve read a little about it and it seems like later in the year is better. Seems like it wouldn’t be that difficult to have success considering a cedar will grow on a granite cliff. Anything I’m overlooking?

We have transplanted Eastern red cedars pretty much year-round with decent success. I think getting the root ball and keeping as many of the root hairs intact is more important than the time of year that you're trying to transplant them.

I think we've had best success with trees that are between 3-6 ft tall. Smaller trees will also work but they have such an underdeveloped root system as it is they just seem to sit there for years after the fact.

If you have access to trees and can transplant them successfully, I think they are a very budget friendly screen or way to provide year-round cover.

We have transplanted Eastern red cedars pretty much year-round with decent success. I think getting the root ball and keeping as many of the root hairs intact is more important than the time of year that you're trying to transplant them.

I think we've had best success with trees that are between 3-6 ft tall. Smaller trees will also work but they have such an underdeveloped root system as it is they just seem to sit there for years after the fact.

If you have access to trees and can transplant them successfully, I think they are a very budget friendly screen or way to provide year-round cover.
Good to know thanks. Yeah I was wanting more on the tall side just for the fact they are closer to providing that screen.

A little 2’ tree spade for a bobcat or tractor would be the cats meow for that little project.

I transplant a lot of ERC. I move them in early Spring and anytime in September. I have pretty good success by just digging them up with a shovel. I don’t transplant bigger trees. One thing about the small trees is they will require some support after moving them. Took me awhile to figure this out and I have some learners as a result.

I've transplanted 100's of eastern red cedar for a road block, I have not had one die yet. I did all mine in the spring, and I did cage them all.

Good to know thanks. Yeah I was wanting more on the tall side just for the fact they are closer to providing that screen.
I transplanted a few 5-6 footers in Northern Missouri in June 2009 and watered them one time at transplanting. They are now about 15 feet tall. I say go for it.

I think I have had better luck transplanting as soon as ground is thawed or even during a warm spell in winter.You are better off to stay small and plant more because it's easier.I have never caged one.I would do 2 rows staggered.When I watered rows I would set up a tote with 2 sump pumps going to garden hoses running to 1/2 inch drip line and put it in the middle of the row and water about 20 each way.By the way I have a 32 inch spade that goes on the front of my tractor now.How close are you to kansas

If you want to jump start some small cedars throw some urea at them after the first year. Mine exploded in growth.

I transplant cedars as soon as the frost is out of the ground. I don’t fence them.

Perhaps I can get a picture of a field screen I planted about ten years ago. I transplant young trees in buckets as I have no tractor or bobcat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I transplanted last December in zone 7B with good success. Healthiest trees appear to be those in the 2.5-3 foot range. Smaller and larger trees seem to be not acclimating as quickly.

I do try to find trees that show even growth all the way around, as those appear to stand up better on their own initially, but as others have pointed out, as take for the first year will help out on those that have a little more lopsided growth.