Transplanting apple trees

shawnv

5 year old buck +
So I have a couple trees have have produced several younglings over the past two years and I would like to transplant them. Any special considerations or tips for when I do this?

When I transplant any tree I just try to get the biggest root ball possible and move when dormant.

We moved some big pear trees a few years ago, and they did really well. We took shovels and got a dirt ball around the roots that was so big I couldn't lift it by myself. They produced pears again in 2 years.

As early in the spring as possible.

I do this fairly often with wild apples I find on the sides of rural roads and others on my property. In early August I'll go in with a sharp spade and dig around the tree creating a root ball, but I leave the tree in place. By doing this you severe the roots and this promotes a lot of new root growth within that root ball. Then in November I go back and simply remove the tree and place the ball on some burlap, tie it up, and move it to its new location. Watering is still a must in the fall to compact the soil and remove any air spaces. I have had very good luck doing it this way, moving even some very large trees. I get those with my backhoe…just pop them out and transport them quickly to the new hole.

I do this fairly often with wild apples I find on the sides of rural roads and others on my property. In early August I'll go in with a sharp spade and dig around the tree creating a root ball, but I leave the tree in place. By doing this you severe the roots and this promotes a lot of new root growth within that root ball. Then in November I go back and simply remove the tree and place the ball on some burlap, tie it up, and move it to its new location. Watering is still a must in the fall to compact the soil and remove any air spaces. I have had very good luck doing it this way, moving even some very large trees. I get those with my backhoe…just pop them out and transport them quickly to the new hole.
Natty how big of trees do you move with your backhoe? I have some nice hawthorns that I have worked around and now are in the way. I would love to move them but afraid I would kill them even though they are the toughest tree I have come a across.

Natty how big of trees do you move with your backhoe? I have some nice hawthorns that I have worked around and now are in the way. I would love to move them but afraid I would kill them even though they are the toughest tree I have come a across.

Hey chummer…the biggest apple I moved was a 9' tall tree with a DBH of about 3 or 4 inches. These trees are growing on the sides of roads and are doomed to die by the snowplow or salt or DPW crews clearing back the brush. Most of the ones I take are small little apples that can fit in a 5 gallon bucket. That 9 footer was on my road. I prepped a nice deep wide hole and carefully just kind of work around the tree until it was loose. Then I just went for it. I definitely broke many roots in the process, but got the tree in its new hole quickly and watered the heck out of it. It survived and is now join into its 3rd spring.

Hey chummer…the biggest apple I moved was a 9' tall tree with a DBH of about 3 or 4 inches. These trees are growing on the sides of roads and are doomed to die by the snowplow or salt or DPW crews clearing back the brush. Most of the ones I take are small little apples that can fit in a 5 gallon bucket. That 9 footer was on my road. I prepped a nice deep wide hole and carefully just kind of work around the tree until it was loose. Then I just went for it. I definitely broke many roots in the process, but got the tree in its new hole quickly and watered the heck out of it. It survived and is now join into its 3rd spring.

I will give it a shot. These are bigger that that, but nothing to loose I guess. Either move them or cut them down.

I will give it a shot. These are bigger that that, but nothing to loose I guess. Either move them or cut them down.

Exactly. Not sure if I would try it with a 5 year old St. Lawrence tree already growing in my yard. But when you have nothing to lose, why not?

Good luck.