Transplant Advice

VTer

5 year old buck +
My very kind wife was a TS today buying horse stuff and bought me 2 crabapple trees she knew I had been looking for. Calloway crabs from TS have done really well for me and there were 2 so she bought them. Now the problem. They are already leafing out. It is cold in VT today and we likely have a fair amount of cold weather in front of us. They are potted. I can easily keep them in the garage or barn for a couple weeks. What is the best advice? The other 2 I bought form TS 2 years ago have done amazingly well and produced lots of crabs that hang into Dec. on my land.

If they are leafing out and you're expecting freezing temps then I'd wait to plant. If you don't mind keeping in the pots inside and looking after them for a bit, you'll probably save yourself a headache down the road. Just remember to slowly harden them back off when you get ready to plant them out depending on how much they've leafed out.

Sounds like you have a good lady by the way

Thank you. I will keep them inside at night and slowly harden them off during the days outside. Agree, she is a keeper!

They will be much better in your garage than they would have been at the store for another week or two.

I have done the garage scuffle many times. Two is easy, just put them out in the morning and make sure you don’t let them dry out.