Trailer / Stupid mistake

White Oak

5 year old buck +
I recently got a load of mulch on a 5x10 trailer , and once home I got a jack and lifted the trailer off my 2005 Silverado 1500 hitch and then use my UTV to move the trailer around. Anyway this time like a Idiot I forgot to unhook the safety chains and pulled the trailer into the trucks welded on bracket with the flip up door for the 7 pin trailer light connector . It cracked the plastic 7 pin hook up and appears to have bent the welded on bracket. Just wondering what the best fix would be since the new 7 pin wont fit now... Try to pound the mount back out OR take it to a Trailer shop or body shop and cut the bent bracket off and weld a new one on ?

Attachments

• 100_1915.JPG
    100_1915.JPG
    299.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 100_1916.JPG
    100_1916.JPG
    222 KB · Views: 27
  • 100_1917.JPG
    100_1917.JPG
    333.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 100_1918.JPG
    100_1918.JPG
    366.2 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Trailers are fun… I remember doing that but it didn’t damage anything luckily.

maybe add some pictures to get better idea on both damage and repair option, even add info on what vehicle this is too
more info, will get you better answers!

I recently got a load of mulch on a 5x10 trailer , and once home I got a jack and lifted the trailer off my Trucks hitch and then use my UTV to move the trailer around. Anyway this time like a Idiot I forgot to unhook the safety chains and pulled the trailer into the trucks welded on bracket with the flip up door for the 7 pin trailer light connector . It cracked the plastic 7 pin hook up and appears to have bent the welded on bracket. Just wondering what the best fix would be since the new 7 pin wont fit now... Try to pound the mount back out OR take it to a Trailer shop or body shop and cut the bent bracket off and weld a new one on ?
Can you post a picture of the damage? It sounds to me like you just need to order a new connector.

Can you post a picture of the damage? It sounds to me like you just need to order a new connector.
I did , wont go in the bracket must
maybe add some pictures to get better idea on both damage and repair option, even add info on what vehicle this is too
more info, will get you better answers!
Done , BUT it really doesn't show much. Two broken plastic pieces , and a little ding in the paint at the bottom of the metal mount

Done. I got a new connector, took the old one off tried to get it on but couldn't. Does it look a little bent to you ?

Been there ... forgot to drop the latch on the trailer ball hitch. Went over a rail track and tractor bounced off the hitch with chains still connected. Discovered this when i stopped at a light and trailer tongue went into my rear tailgate. No real damage other then the idiot light coming on.

Been there ... forgot to drop the latch on the trailer ball hitch. Went over a rail track and tractor bounced off the hitch with chains still connected. Discovered this when i stopped at a light and trailer tongue went into my rear tailgate. No real damage other then the idiot light coming on.
Expensive lesson for me . I read several reviews about aftermarket parts only lasting a few years and people saying to get the OEM part, $75 for the part at the Chevy dealer .

can you try finding a local salvage yard and go take the part off vehicle there and swap to your vehicle, as I gather a lot of vehicles in scrap yards have just front end damage or sides, that might get you the part for less $$$
these things normally last a pretty long time, and a lot of folks never even sue them at all, so used one's can be like new! some salvage yards will even pull parts and have inventory of them , saving you the time to pull it if you don;'t have it!
and pending make model of your vehicle, there might be a lot out there,a s many OEM's use same part on many vehicles they make!