Trail Camera for Home Security

Tree Spud

5 year old buck +
Just thought I would check in with everyone on experiences using a trail camera for home monitoring & security?

I am looking for it to be placed outside to monitor drive entrance and a building. Want no flash and quiet so as not to alert trespasser that they are being monitored.

Ideal would be combo of pictures and video with good night time resolution.

I am not a techie so I need something that does not involve a background in electrical engineering. :emoji_relaxed:

Appreciate you input and additional approaches to encourage the trespasser it is time to go elsewhere.

to be honest I think your far better adding a real security video system
as when you mount trail camera's and such outside, and unless there the kind that email/cell send pic's and vids
if a crooks see's the camera and takes it, its not going to help you find who ever did it
where as if you add a real security system that cams's are outside and info gets stored indoors some place where its less likely to be found and taken
if your place is broke into, it increases the odds of getting some helpful footage
they have wireless camera's that can be added in places, yet sill send info to a recorder like device in your home!
home systems have come a long ways and many are very affordable now more then ever

I think its better money spent IMO
that being said, I have remote properties that I have trail cam's at
and most time si get pic's of trespassers there, I can never tell who they are mostly seem to get pic's of there backs, sides, or too far off when they trigger things to ID at night/low light!
I also have had camera's stolen from there too ?
but better than nothing I guess?

Just thought I would check in with everyone on experiences using a trail camera for home monitoring & security?

I am looking for it to be placed outside to monitor drive entrance and a building. Want no flash and quiet so as not to alert trespasser that they are being monitored.

Ideal would be combo of pictures and video with good night time resolution.

I am not a techie so I need something that does not involve a background in electrical engineering. :emoji_relaxed:

Appreciate you input and additional approaches to encourage the trespasser it is time to go elsewhere.

You can do it, but it there are much better systems for this. You will get better performance for your money buying a system that intended for this purpose.

OH< the best way I know of to deter trespassers, is actually to catch a few and take them thru every step possible and get them fined all you can' word spreads
but its not perfect
lots of signs can help, you in court more than IMO, keeping anyone out!
and best thing to do is show up at property at a lot of different times and days if you can
this helps keep locals unsure of when your there or will be there

but to be 100% honest, if you don't live on the land and the land has a lot fo things that draw folks, its a never ending game dealing with trespassers in any state that has weak trespassing laws
here in PA< there a joke and everyone know's it
in the past 10 yrs on one property I bet I caught a good 800+ people, maybe a thousand, and always NEW people, the area is known to have tons of wildlife (also has a big stocked pond and two different streams with fish)and near state lands, and folks always end up on the place, hoping they won;t get caught!
it was a never ending deal, all yr round, almost every time I was there I would catch people there,
either walking, riding atv's, fishing, hunting, or??
and I couldn;t tell you how many trail cam's I had stolen (maybe 35-40)
also had other things stolen or damaged(I gather by folks I caught once already and came back to get revenge for me tossing them out)
I had many fined, but never helped much as I said, most I catch were always new one's

after 20 + yrs managing the place, I gave up, for this reason and others!
so, some times there is not stopping them sadly! and making it a better hunting property, almost makes it worse!

to be honest I think your far better adding a real security video system

I didn't ask that question ... let's start at stage 1 ... monitoring ... my property is in an area where the only available internet service is internet ... and that sucks.

I don't need a sermon or a lecture ... save your breath ... I need real thoughts on how to approach ...

You can do it, but it there are much better systems for this. You will get better performance for your money buying a system that intended for this purpose.

Waiting for details Jack ... I need a short term monitoring and long term we can look at options ... ^^^

we
I didn't ask that question ... let's start at stage 1 ... monitoring ... my property is in an area where the only available internet service is internet ... and that sucks.

I don't need a sermon or a lecture ... save your breath ... I need real thoughts on how to approach ...
and you asked this from your first POST
[/QUOTE]Appreciate you input and additional approaches to encourage the trespasser it is time to go elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

I didn;t GIVE you a SERMON< I gave you honest info based on actual experience with this
if you don;t like getting info and replies, DON"T ask on an open forum.,
seems you got a problem with folks offering help
and a short fuse and bad attitude!

and as for internet??

I ain';t a mind reader to know what you have or don't
and din;t really even mention it was needed or not?

I used to have a game camera mounted way up in a tree covering my driveway at the cabin. I had to use a ladder to pull the chip. It served its purpose but it didn’t send me alerts so it would have been an after the fact unit. I have Internet there so now I put in a 8 camera Hd security camera system that I can watch live from my phone. I have been really impressed with the system. It was from Lorex and cost about $400.

Do you have internet?
Im Clueless but my brother has a system running at my place. It pretty sweet.
We get emails when anything moves near the house or barn.
With no internet it still works but we wouldn’t get it in real time.

I have Snyper Commander 4GLTE to monitor hog trap

Another option is ARLO home security video

bill

we

and you asked this from your first POST
Appreciate you input and additional approaches to encourage the trespasser it is time to go elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

I didn;t GIVE you a SERMON< I gave you honest info based on actual experience with this
if you don;t like getting info and replies, DON"T ask on an open forum.,
seems you got a problem with folks offering help
and a short fuse and bad attitude!

and as for internet??

I ain';t a mind reader to know what you have or don't
and din;t really even mention it was needed or not?[/QUOTE]

Then why don't you ask some questions rather than telling me how it will all eventually be a waste of time?

I am at the stage where I want to learn about monitoring options, if you have suggestions, by all means share.

Do you have internet?
Im Clueless but my brother has a system running at my place. It pretty sweet.
We get emails when anything moves near the house or barn.
With no internet it still works but we wouldn’t get it in real time.

I have internet, it is satellite based. Speed is high enough to watch YouTube videos.

I used to have a game camera mounted way up in a tree covering my driveway at the cabin. I had to use a ladder to pull the chip. It served its purpose but it didn’t send me alerts so it would have been an after the fact unit. I have Internet there so now I put in a 8 camera Hd security camera system that I can watch live from my phone. I have been really impressed with the system. It was from Lorex and cost about $400.

I am going to have to hide the camera/video as if the TP sees it, they will steal that also. The Lorex looks interesting. Which system do you use?

I have Snyper Commander 4GLTE to monitor hog trap

Another option is ARLO home security video

bill

Does the Snyper have any visible flash or red glow? I am also looking for a camera to place at our drive entrance to pick-up vehicles coming onto the property.

I am going to have to hide the camera/video as if the TP sees it, they will steal that also. The Lorex looks interesting. Which system do you use?

I have a monitored alarm system and the Lorex 8 camera system . Lorex customer service is the worst but if you can figure out the system they do have good resolution. Records 24/7 and emails me a snap shot if motion is detected.

just took this screen shot.

E2055F7C-BE62-4373-9575-FBC8D5C8D83D.png

This is similar to the system I have but mine is a few years old so this is probably better. It records to a 2 TB hard drive so if no internet you still have video on the hard drive which I think is better than a trail camera. The cameras glow red at night for the night vision. I like that they are visible as crooks usually move on to an easier target when they see you have video surveillance. My neighbor used to install video systems. He helped me install it and he was impressed with it. My wife likes using the free app on her phone to watch the deer and turkeys. Here are some screen shots I just took. 89F94BB9-19B9-453E-9FB3-8CDECF5E069A.png53B5B019-62FF-43DD-A59E-0CF6EAA255F1.png2ED2872F-942B-462C-9D13-4037CB69086B.pngCAE9737E-35A9-4C74-9EA0-85B5A4B7DCBC.png

I have a monitored alarm system and the Lorex 8 camera system . Lorex customer service is the worst but if you can figure out the system they do have good resolution. Records 24/7 and emails me a snap shot if motion is detected.

View attachment 29419

Bill ... couple questions. How geed is the night time resolution?

How far can you locate a camera from base module?

View attachment 29419

This is what I am looking for, but I have a couple dumb questions. While I have hi speed internet, I have limited data, only 10gb per month. Can I still run this system and have it email me shots during motion, and be able to go in when there is motion and watch some of the video, without it consuming a ton of my available internet?

Just speaking for my system but my nighttime resolution is pretty good especially closer like on the porch. It gets a little grainy the further away the object is. Mine is a hard wired system. I researched hard wired vs wireless and at the time wired was a no brainer. I can go into why if you would like. If you look into the specs for each system you’re interested in it will tell you how many feet away from the hard drive you can run wire to the cameras. I had extra cable left over running to each camera.