Tractor safety

buckdeer1

5 year old buck +
I just got done working a fatal tractor roll over,they rolled around a 50 HP 70s model JD off in a ditch while brush hogging. Family could find him so they started calling neighbors.The ditch had 6ft johnson grass on both sides.Another reason to put life 360 on your phone.Be careful out there.He wasn't doing anything different than alot of us on this site.

Dang sorry to hear that.

I often find myself pushing the limits a little. “Worked last year, let me see if I can get a little closer.” Never had a close call, but I think about it a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to like this post, but thanks for the reminder to be safe. I am still learning the capabilities and limits on my new tractor, and safety must be a priority over “getting the job done quickly.”

Very sad to hear. If you have ROPS and a seatbelt - Never turn the ignition without seatbelt buckled. Way too many people die in tractor roll-overs.

Lost a buddy in high school to a similar fate.

just came across this on Facebook.....and thought I should post it here...... (this was not me - thankfully) A spinning PTO shaft is seriously dangerous.

PTO.jpeg
For those of you who don’t know, I was in an accident yesterday. My shirt wast caught by the pto of the tractor and it took me with it. Other than a sprained arm and a lot of cuts and burns on my body I am fine. If Gregg Fulton hadn’t been there to grab me when it threw me to the other side I probably wouldn’t be here. It ripped every stitch of clothes off of my body. Dad has some broken ribs but at least he still has a son. Count your blessings we are not promised tomorrow.
**UPDATE**
**I had no idea this would go viral but maybe that was God’s plan from the beginning. This is a story that everyone should learn from. I am blessed from your prayers an wishes of good health. If you feel like this is important to share then tell everyone. Let my mistake keep others from doing the same,and maybe we can save some lives.**
Also the was a guard on it if you look closely you can see it.

It's so easy to get messed up so quick. I was putting a ridge cap on the roof of my parents new pole barn on Friday night. I had driven over 2,000 screw so far in the project. The tin on the roof was cutting my hands as the panels were getting slick from dust and I kept slipping. I put on gloves and the first screw caught the glove and twisted my finger up. Similar to the PTO shaft on a smaller scale. It didn't break my finger, but it is sprained really bad. I can't imagine what this fella went through...

When I was young I knew a bunch of 1 armed farmers.

In my neighorhood growing up there were 2 older neighbor farmers who were missing hands over similar issues. One lost most of his hand in an accident, then decades later lost the rest of that hand in a similar accident. He had some type of metal hook or claw after that. The other old guy was super friendly and would wave at everyone he saw when he drove by. It always looked like he was pointing at you, but he only had one finger so that was a full wave.

That stuff is a good reminder the food plot/habitat hobby can be very dangerous.

My dad drilled it in my head when I was a boy that you go no where near a running pto. He had countless horror stories of people getting pulled in.
A lot of farmers lost lives and limbs back in the day before pto guards and tractors that made you stay in the seat with pto on.

When I was growing up.....I spent some time behind the parts counter at my dad's tractor and truck business. He sold allot of Ford mounted two-row corn pickers back in that time....which was popular before combines were used for corn. Those pickers had snapping rolls on either side of the operators seat......and they would invariable get plugged a few times each day. MANY farmers kept a stick that they would use to try to clear to obstructions from those snapping rolls......and that stick could VERY Quickly pull you into the snapping rolls and the corn picker. Sad results followed.

Lots of farm accidents back in that time due to lack of shields and open belts, spinning shafts and more. Lots of farmers had a hook on one arm....or were otherwise badly hurt. You had to be extremely careful operating in those days. It's better now....but still gets a few every year. I dont think the message gets out there about safety like it used to (or should). A spinning shaft with a few horsepower LOOKS harmless....but can be very deadly....especially with loose clothing.

Gotta add (my public service obligation - grin).....one of the most harmless looking implements is a Post Hole Digger......yet it gets a few folks each year. That spinning auger is like the unguarded PTO shaft and can quickly wrap you in. Too many people have someone standing nearby to position the auger and shovel away from the auger, etc. Beware.

My buddies dad growing up got his leg in the pto it tore it all to hell he managed to turn off the pto shaft himself. They didn’t just remove the leg they tried to save it he has a plastic brace to help support the leg or what’s left of it. I believe he would have been better off removing it and going prosthetic he was is constant pain because it simply could not actually heal after so much damage. In his 70’s now still dealing with the leg issues I watched him have 40 years ago leg is pretty much always broken.

Never get off tractor with PTO engaged
Never try to start tractor while on the ground.There was a guy on QDMA forum that got ran over doing this and had to crawl all the way back to truck
Never try to hold a child while on a tractor,I'm not going to go into that story but the old tractors should always have a slip clutch installed on the PTO so it doesn't push the tractor.
With everyone out there think about putting life 360 on your phones.

Last weekend it was UTVs,one rolled over on gravel road,landed on girls forearm broke real bad has had 2nd surgery but still not sure if they will save it.Everything we do in the outdoors can be dangerous it seems.

My buddies uncle was killed when his 4 wheeler mounted with a spray rig rolled over him

And one of my best friends is an above the knee amputee from getting knocked off the fender of a tractor and run over by a bush hog his grandpa was driving

It can happen in a second. I have had a lot more close calls when using a loader. Day before yesterday, I had cut a 15” willow into maybe four sections with limbs still attached. Got on the tractor to push them out of the way and was pushing one of them and some how that section rolled over and the butt end sprung back. It hit the bracket that holds the tool box on a JD - just in front and too the left of me. 3/8” metal - bent it out at 45 degree angle. Had to cut it out with saw. Could have nust as easy been a couple feet over and crushed me in the seat. Of course, by myself - 1.5 miles from home - absolutely no phone service.

Trees and tractors definitely lead to problems even with my big track loaders I have issues. I snapped off the fuel governor shaft on my Cat 951C two weeks ago when a black locust root made it into the engine compartment that I didn’t notice when pushing a log pile.

I was pushing some brush from the storm the other day with skid steer.Before I knew it a limb sprung up and was barely pushing against my belt line when I got stopped.