Top working Callery pears

Telemark

5 year old buck +
This summer I did about 20 grafts to wild Callery pears in the Dayton area of Ohio, Zone 6, in mid June. Varieties I used were Bartlett, Tyson, Columbia Red, Gin, Butt, and Winnals Longdon. All were successful.

I used bark grafts, wrapped with plastic and electrician tape and sealed with wax (paraffin and toilet rings melted together). Only one nurse branch was left per tree.

The scions were all leafed out and growing within two weeks. The Callery pears pushed a LOT of new growth, which I removed as much as possible before I left.

I will keep grafting these trees with as many varieties as possible. I want the pears for family and neighbors, but I also want the genetic material available. There are endless trees around the area, so it's merely a matter of getting landowner permission.

I will keep updating this over the years. Would love to hear other people's experiences with this as well.

Last edited:
Here's some photos from two weeks after grafting:

20190624_122503.jpg

Attachments

• 20190624_122127.jpg
    20190624_122127.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 20190624_122801.jpg
    20190624_122801.jpg
    345.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 20190624_122051.jpg
    20190624_122051.jpg
    436 KB · Views: 44
That’s good stuff. When I was going over the process early on I was thinking I would be doing this a lot earlier than June but it seems to have worked out very well for you. Weren’t those trees leafed out by then? I had 20 or so in mind but have found close to 40 Callery on my property.

I see a lot of pears in my future if I can get this to work well. Interested to see how this works out for you.

This one topworked in spring of 2017 to a Hunter's Choice. Fruiting in 2019.

9MgSYMu.jpg

When I was going over the process early on I was thinking I would be doing this a lot earlier than June but it seems to have worked out very well for you

I grafted in June because that's when I was in Ohio. You can definitely graft earlier.

I assume you can graft after bud break when there is no more risk of frost. I would have grafted in May if I had been there then.

I had 20 or so in mind but have found close to 40 Callery on my property

I would mark them now. They can be harder to find/identify when all the leaves are gone. I just use ordinary masking tape. It lasts the winter and comes off easy when I want to remove it.

E8200DF9-463F-4AEE-BA04-F465B8A6C04B.jpeg

A lot of mine stand out like a sore thumb. It was just dumb luck really. I saw a post from NH and realized what I had. I just left these in the transition plot to add structure. There were so many times I was just going to cut them down. Now to think I could have pears in a few years. Exciting stuff. Most of my trees are pretty big but I have found some that have 3/4” calipers. I assume you would need a different type of graft on these.

I religiously mark Buckthorn though.

3/4" is ok for bark grafting a small scion. If you have a bigger scion, try a side graft. I had some 1/2" scion that I grafted to a 3/4" mountain ash with a side graft.

Attachments

• 20190817_164346.jpg
    20190817_164346.jpg
    656 KB · Views: 42
When did you do your scion collection? I have OOODLES of these invasive pears and truly desire to try this but are always hesitant. I've found myself hinging the trees rather than trying it because they deer love them but really wanna try this. Scion collection is my biggest worry.

I got most of my scions from other people. The scions I collected from my own trees I cut in March when they were still dormant.

I got most of my scions from other people. The scions I collected from my own trees I cut in March when they were still dormant.

Having zero attempts at this, so you went and cut one year growth and then did what with it till the day of grafting?

I put it in the fridge. Sealed in a plastic bag with a damp paper towel. Bottom corner of the fridge against one of the fridge walls.

You really should try it. Get some scion wood and watch a bunch of grafting videos on youtube. Bark grafts are very easy and forgiving. Do your top work above the lowest branch so you can use the branch as a nurse limb. And go back every week or two to remove the new growth the Callery pear will push.

You really should try it. Get some scion wood and watch a bunch of grafting videos on youtube. Bark grafts are very easy and forgiving. Do your top work above the lowest branch so you can use the branch as a nurse limb. And go back every week or two to remove the new growth the Callery pear will push.

I gotta make it a top priority on my place, so MANY abundant options to try and make it happen on everywhere. Got a couple awesome scion tree options from various properties I know will let me cut from too. You order any or just cut all your scions?

I got pear scions from people here. If you don't manage to get what you need here, you can try North American Scion Exchange on Facebook. Once you feel confident and have trees identified, then it might be worth ordering from GRIN.

I am trying to use the invasive Callery pears as a genetic reserve for various useful pears, especially heirloom and perry varieties. This is near my parents' house in Ohio, so it's not very useful for hunting, but on rare occasion I can get a permit for the Metropark there. But hopefully people and deer will take whatever they want.

It's very rewarding work. I know a lot of people would see Callery pears erradicated, but I don't think that is realistic, and I think it's nice to find a use for them.

Couldn't agree more!

I am wondering if these trees would be more prone to breakage then say old home or Bartlett seedling on heavy cropping years

I am wondering if these trees would be more prone to breakage then say old home or Bartlett seedling on heavy cropping years

Even if becomes the case I'll take a top worked over invasive variant to one left untouched. Perhaps Telemark or someone that has some producing could say from experience.

My sister is in Ohio for Christmas, so I had her send me some photos of my grafts for an update. Most of the grafts grew like crazy.
received_439630586707197.jpegreceived_915952695467069.jpegreceived_2477167009047506.jpeg

Looking forward to getting back to Ohio in June and trimming off all the Callery branches. I'll try to do another 20 grafts as well. Excited about the scion exchange this year. I'll definitely need some good pear varieties.