Top 3 pears

Thanks for the encouragement H20. I do have pruning on this winter's 'to do' list. Last year I tried top working for the first time and that's got its hooks into me so gathering some scions is added incentive for me to do that pruning this season. This past spring I started taking some the low stuff off of all of my fruit trees, but I need to spend some time doing more intentional pruning besides that.

I did have some branches on my asian pears that loaded up with fruit this year and those branches now 'weep', even after the fruit has fallen. Seems like some pruning on those branches could encourage them to continue to be less vertical.

Check Walmart now (likely gone) or in the Spring when they get new shipments in. Chestnut Hill Outdoor publicizes how many they send to each store on their website. If you graft, check with me this offseason for scions. I might be able to get some on the Dr. Deer pear. I rode by my Dr. Deer pear yesterday. It still has some pears hanging. They aren't real big. I'd say they're about the size of a golf ball but my tree is still quite young (first year fruiting).
I have two Dr Deer pears from Walmart / Chestnut Hill planted in 2019 or 2020 , they both had some blossoms this spring (for the first time) but a late frost got them and I didn't see any pears. The bad news is Chestnut Hill no longer carries the Dr Deer pear BUT they have one called a Trophy pear that Looks just like it...It looks like the same exact pic they used for the DR Deer Pear if you ask me . Chestnut Hill has a few other pears as well.. I've been watching and Chestnut Hill hasn't shipped any pears to Walmart for the last couple of years for some reason. Dr Deer must of licensed the rights of the "Dr Deer Pear" to a place called wildtree instead, as they are the only one I can find selling Dr Deer pear trees....this place is HIGH DOLLAR , I think last year when I looked one tree was close to $100 with shipping....Now they no longer have it listed individually, The only way to get a Dr Deer is in a $884.00 starter pack ! 2 Dr Deer pears , 2 Kieffers , 1 sawtooth oak , 1 Monterry Oak, 2 American persimmion , 2 strawberry bush , 1 American Beauty berry and 1 sumac

Is Dr Deer a patented verity? I did not know that to be the case.

If you have a pear variety already and want more of that variety, just graft some.

I think James Kroll found it on his property, cut it with his mower and meant to remove it. He forgot and it grew back. I think there's a video about it on YouTube. Long story short it seems like it's some sort of Asian sand pear. It holds late is my understanding. It's not an eater pear. I'm sure there are other similar varieties out there that maybe don't get the marketing. I think Kroll started an online nursery so that's probably why he parted ways with Chestnut Hill.

UPDATE: mine had 5 or 10 pears for the first time this year. I tried one a few weeks ago and 1 is still hanging. I figured birds or coons would pick it clean by now.

Last edited: