This has the same stem as pokeweed but it has a tooth leave

Attachments

• 20180813-155528.jpg
    20180813-155528.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 15341903445651753177534.jpg
    15341903445651753177534.jpg
    422.9 KB · Views: 27
thistle, sow thistle to be specific.........

Burnweed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you it is burnweed. Came across these larger ones as I was spot spraying for Mullen doc thistle and Canadian thistle. there is no apparent usage on the burnt weed however there's a whole little patch of Canadian thistle that the deer Munched on and this is on an edge of a soybean field where there's plenty of chow.

Attachments

• 15343608258071387353359.jpg
    15343608258071387353359.jpg
    602.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 1534360911599320438785.jpg
    1534360911599320438785.jpg
    659.1 KB · Views: 8
So on that note I'm spot spraying some of the more problematic weeds as stated above amongst the natives i would like to remain as edging of the field..primarly Goldenrods & Daisy fleabane.. so is burnt weed one that gets out of control.. since I only see three plants was wondering if I should not spray it..thanks

So on that note I'm spot spraying some of the more problematic weeds as stated above amongst the natives i would like to remain as edging of the field..primarly Goldenrods & Daisy fleabane.. so is burnt weed one that gets out of control.. since I only see three plants was wondering if I should not spray it..thanks

I would recommend killing it. It's of no value to deer and used less by insects than most other similar plants - mainly wasps. I would rather have Goldenrods and other plants taking up the space. It can get out of control in some areas, but since it is an annual, once perennials take hold it usually limits the amount of it you will see,

The Native Americans used it to make an ointment to soothe piles (hemorrhoids). So if you decide to keep it you may never need Tucks again.....:emoji_thumbsup:

I would recommend killing it. It's of no value to deer and used less by insects than most other similar plants - mainly wasps. I would rather have Goldenrods and other plants taking up the space. It can get out of control in some areas, but since it is an annual, once perennials take hold it usually limits the amount of it you will see,

The Native Americans used it to make an ointment to soothe piles (hemorrhoids). So if you decide to keep it you may never need Tucks again.....:emoji_thumbsup:
Thanks for the info! I will head back in that direction to give it a squirt.. thank God I'm not dealing with any kind of hemorrhoid problems!

Thanks for the info! I will head back in that direction to give it a squirt.. thank God I'm not dealing with any kind of hemorrhoid problems!

Don't be surprised if you get more free seed from your neighbor. The wind carries that white, fluffy stuff for miles.

And if you ever run out of it, we can send you plenty more.

Wow found some morecan thistle out in the middle of the field sniped@ every stem

Attachments

• 1534363312405260056478.jpg
    1534363312405260056478.jpg
    515.7 KB · Views: 12
Don't be surprised if you get more free seed from your neighbor. The wind carries that white, fluffy stuff for miles.

And if you ever run out of it, we can send you plenty more.
I found another one with the seed heads forming and they look a lot like the one wild lettuce with the shinier leaves that have points on them.
Speaking of which everywhere I see that wild lettuce not so much the shiny one but the duller bigger leave one..they really seem to hit that hard.. I have one by the house that's about 10 ft going to seed and I was thinking about bringing the seed heads and letting them disperse along the edge cover or is that a bad idea

So I'm spot spaying along the edge and I came across this.. we had nice weather in early February and I collected a lot of sheds out of this field and then on February 20th when we had more snow I got a trail picture of a 4 pointer that still had both antlers.. this is half his rack..pretty cool.. crazy how this stuff can make a grown man so happy lol.. we don't have a lot of big deer but I'm trying to give em a chance

Attachments

• IMG_20180815_161206623.jpg
    IMG_20180815_161206623.jpg
    796 KB · Views: 8
I found another one with the seed heads forming and they look a lot like the one wild lettuce with the shinier leaves that have points on them.
Speaking of which everywhere I see that wild lettuce not so much the shiny one but the duller bigger leave one..they really seem to hit that hard.. I have one by the house that's about 10 ft going to seed and I was thinking about bringing the seed heads and letting them disperse along the edge cover or is that a bad idea

No, that is a GOOD idea. There are two types of wild lettuce - one is native and the other is imported. Both are browsed by deer and turkey, but I prefer the native one (Lactuca canadensis), because the leaves are more tender. The imported one (Lactuca serriola) can hybridize with the native, so some are hard to tell apart. But the later in a pure state has many more prickles on the bottom of the leaves. However, both are good wildlife plants.

Great to know I've been meaning to ask about it.. everywhere I see it near the house it is heavily used so I wouldn't mind that being a big part of my Edge cover and if it spreads into the field I'm sure it'll get hit. Thanks

This one is in the middle of a Blackberry Thicket hardly a leaf left on it but it's going to seed..

Attachments

• 15343718396311041069527.jpg
    15343718396311041069527.jpg
    639.1 KB · Views: 13
Wow found some morecan thistle out in the middle of the field sniped@ every stem
That is not Canada thistle in that pic (post #10). My best guess is that it's prickly lettuce. My deer browse PL, they don't touch CT.

That is not Canada thistle in that pic (post #10). My best guess is that it's prickly lettuce. My deer browse PL, they don't touch CT.
Yes that was the shiny prickly lettuce you were right it was so close to the other patch of Canadian thistle I miss taking it thanks