Tool'n Knives

tooln

5 year old buck +
I've dropped in now and then but haven't been very active here lately. I've retired and sold my property hoping to relocate but with the market the way it is finding a new place hasn't happened yet. To keep me occupied since I've retired I've taken up knife making. Turns out I make a decent knife and ended up selling several. Here's one I just finished for my wife. 2.jpg1.jpg

Very nice Tooln ... welcome back!

To get the termination plunge radius, what type of grinder are you using?

Last edited:
Very nice Tooln ... welcome back!

To get the termination plunge radius, what type of grinder are you using?
Thanks Spud
When I started knife making I used a die grinder with different size flap wheels and I had a cheap 1x30 belt sander/grinder. It was a long and tedious process. Once I knew I'd be doing this very often I broke down and bough myself a 2x72 belt grinder. I though about building my own but by the time I bought materials and had some machined it wasn't cost effective. I ended up getting a Reeder and just love it. I cut my grinding time down like you wouldn't believe it also gave me better grind lines. 20211104_094332resize.jpg20211104_121033resize.jpg20211104_121534resize.jpg

I have one, and ordered one for my boss. Top notch knives and no two are alike.

I have one, and ordered one for my boss. Top notch knives and no two are alike.
I'm glad you like your knife.

I'm glad you like your knife.
The problem is they are to nice to use. It is on the counter now but will move to the mantle when the Xmas decorations come down.

8b29fdddd6d6d842d459dda93f90f40b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

The problem is they are to nice to use. It is on the counter now but will move to the mantle when the Xmas decorations come down.

8b29fdddd6d6d842d459dda93f90f40b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Come on now, you know it's made to be used.

Come on now, you know it's made to be used.

Post up the one u made for me. I’d do it, but the last iPhone update was so big I had to erase about everything on my phone to get it through. #FJB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ever do a large fish fillet knife? Not necessarily with an antler.

Tool'n,

You may have found a second career

Really cool work

bill

Thanks Spud
When I started knife making I used a die grinder with different size flap wheels and I had a cheap 1x30 belt sander/grinder. It was a long and tedious process. Once I knew I'd be doing this very often I broke down and bough myself a 2x72 belt grinder. I though about building my own but by the time I bought materials and had some machined it wasn't cost effective. I ended up getting a Reeder and just love it. I cut my grinding time down like you wouldn't believe it also gave me better grind lines. View attachment 39538View attachment 39539View attachment 39540

Very nice, that is a professional level grinder. I am still on a 2 pulley 36" belt. I am just starting but know what you mean by "tedious".

Post up the one u made for me. I’d do it, but the last iPhone update was so big I had to erase about everything on my phone to get it through. #FJB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SD here it is, my wife really fell in love with this one. SD almost didn't get it.

resize1.jpgresize2.jpg

Ever do a large fish fillet knife? Not necessarily with an antler.
This is the first fillet style that I've made. Not a true fillet as the blade isn't as thin or flexible as a true fillet knife. This happened to have an elk antler as the friend I made it for supplied his antler. He gifted it to his fishing buddy. resize.jpg

Tool'n,

You may have found a second career

Really cool work

bill
Thanks, it does keep me busy. More than anything I enjoy making them.

Are you forging steel or using stock? If stock, what grades do you like to work with?

Are you forging steel or using stock? If stock, what grades do you like to work with?
I start with 1095 bar stock, shape, grind bevels, heat treat and temper them. I have plans to build a forge to make my own billets but haven't gotten to that point yet. I really want to make some Canister Damascus.

This is the first fillet style that I've made. Not a true fillet as the blade isn't as thin or flexible as a true fillet knife. This happened to have an elk antler as the friend I made it for supplied his antler. He gifted it to his fishing buddy. View attachment 39555

That’s actually a good thing. When cleaning tuna or bigger fish those flimsy fillet knifes don’t work as well.
At least not with me cutting steaks.