Time to switch to a crossbow

4wanderingeyes

5 year old buck +
After already having had 5 shoulder surgeries, and the 6th in the works, I need to put the bow away and get a crossbow.

I have been looking at the Ravin R20, is anyone shooting one? Are you satisfied with it? Do you wish you would have gotten the 26, or 29x?

I thing the r20 is the best bang for the buck, but I kinda like the smaller compact frame of the 29x, and the fact it is silent to reload, but is it worth the extra amount?

I can’t speak to the other R numbers. But I have the R20. Bought it 3 years ago so paid much more then there going for today.

I love it!

Be aware though when they say change the string and cables(which are strings) every 100 shots or two years. They mean it! I pushed it last year and went 3 years. Bought a press and changed everything this year before starting. The cables were stretched out an inch and ready to leave me.

So it’s not maintenance free. $100 string/cables every 2 years. Press was about $250 but forever. I would never shoot a deer past 40. But I have shot targets at 70 from a bench and it’s stupid accurate.

I struggle with tennis elbow in both arms. No way I’m bow hunting anymore with out one. Although pulling bolts from a target does hurt the the tendinitis.

Helpful hint. Rub a bit of wd40 on your practice bolts. They come out easier. I shoot a rhinhart target and a bit of the foam kind of melts to the bolt. Wd40 helps with that also.

One other tip, buy a replacement arrow rest. If you load the bolt wrong it will explode. I bought one with the bow and haven’t needed it. But that day will come…

I had a R20 and sold it and got the R26 when it came out. I like the fact that the scope mount is not cantilevered out. The R26 is supported on both ends. It is harder to replace the strings than the R20, but once you do it once it is not so bad. I do like the shorter frame. it is nice when I ride my e bike to the stand. I just throw the strap over my head and put the crossbow in front and my pack on my back. One drawback for the Ravin is that you are stuck with their arrows. The fletchings always seem to come off. All the R?'s are very accurate. You will love any of them. You will need a good target. Don't use a foam block target. The arrow will burry in it and be very hard to get it out. I bought this target and it works very well and has very easy arrow removal. FYI that was a group shot at 100 yards.Ravin 100Yds.jpg

We have and R20 and R26. I like them both - not really partial to either. Both super accurate. We first got them when the grand daughters were young and my back drove me to using one. I, too, limit my shots on deer to 40 yards.

After already having had 5 shoulder surgeries, and the 6th in the works, I need to put the bow away and get a crossbow.

I have been looking at the Ravin R20, is anyone shooting one? Are you satisfied with it? Do you wish you would have gotten the 26, or 29x?

I thing the r20 is the best bang for the buck, but I kinda like the smaller compact frame of the 29x, and the fact it is silent to reload, but is it worth the extra amount?
I purchased a Ten Point S400 Viper a little over a year ago. Not as expensive as the Ravin, but I haven't had any accuracies issues with it. Like one guy said, 40 yards in the max I'd probably go...though for the right deer I might go to 50. With that in mind, I've shot targets out to about 75 yards as well. What I like about it: light, small, deadly accurate. What I don't like about it: The stupid cocking mechanism seems to fall out easily. So I tend to keep it in my pocket.

Just a suggestion...I did a lot of research before I bought...in doing so I stumbled across this company (https://a1archery.com/) and their prices were unbeatable. In fact, I worked with them to customize my setup and still those prices could not be beat. The only downside is our local archery shop despises anyone who bus their archery equipment from anyone else - and because of this, I know for a fact he charges significantly more for any maintenance.

I have the Raven R20 and really like it. Switched as holding a compound for 60-90 seconds is difficult especially on really cold days when I am stuff from sitting.

Don't put the arrow fletch upside down like I did ... strips the fletches :emoji_fearful:

Very accurate...below is at 30 yards.

IMG_20211010_130655.jpg

I have a ravin and a koda bow with a custom Excalibur’s micro front

I am partial to the AR frame versus the bull pup stock but ravens are really accurate but you gotta keep up on the strings the Excalibur’s are way easier deal

I still love my bow and it’s my favorite tool to hunt with - But I’ve got old shoulders and when it’s gets cold and I have to bundle up it gets a little tough. My wife gifted me an entry level Barnett crossbow for christmas. I’ll be “crossing” over to the dark side next year too on the days when my body hurts too much to grab my Matthews. I say congrats and have fun - and just go hunt!

I double dog dare you guys to go post on Bowsite :emoji_laughing:

Yeah well …I think a lot of us here are old enough to remember when everyone was against compound bows too.

I remember my mule running off with my compound after the mule drug it around after dark and finally walked into camp

I was able to get the bow to group to sixty yards man have things changed

I still love my bow and it’s my favorite tool to hunt with - But I’ve got old shoulders and when it’s gets cold and I have to bundle up it gets a little tough. My wife gifted me an entry level Barnett crossbow for christmas. I’ll be “crossing” over to the dark side next year too on the days when my body hurts too much to grab my Matthews. I say congrats and have fun - and just go hunt!
I had one (Game Crusher 2.0 - I think). It shot a lot different in the summer than the cold weather. It also shot much lower and to the right after staying cocked for a couple of hours on stand. Just a couple of things to check as you're crossing over to it.