This years chestnut project...

Davewp

5 year old buck +
Started out with float testing nuts and storing in refrigerator with a wet / damp paper towel for 90 days. every 2 weeks, float testing the whole batch and replacing paper towel. the plastic bag was left open, but folded over. no nuts were lost over 90 day period.IMG_6250.jpeg

chestnuts planted in peat moss and a small top layer of dirt.IMG_6251.jpeg

After 2 weeks, some of more visible nuts have cracked, with small note of growth.IMG_6266.jpeg

At 3 weeks 7 of 18 have visible top growth. (second batch in basement (cooler) have demonstarted no to growth. Basement batch (12 nuts) moved to sun room with other 18 nuts.IMG_6307.jpeg

Very cool

What are you using for lights? When is your last frost date?

I planted about 100 chestnut seeds last winter and put them under grow lights for about 3.5 months. The trees looked amazing but eventually I had to upgrade to bigger pots (1/2 gallon and then eventually 1 gallon) because I started them too early. I am doing a similar project this year but I started them about 1.5 months later.

At 3 weeks 7 of 18 have visible top growth. (second batch in basement (cooler) have demonstarted no to growth. Basement batch (12 nuts) moved to sun room with other 18 nuts.View attachment 49554
You are off and running
Be forewarned .......the addiction is absolute
i started growing them from seed in 2016 and continue on an annual basis
Cant imagine the backyard without containers of baby trees

bill

Not using pots, peat moss block turned up on side. Have been doing these projects for years. Have not been able to find a decent pot long enough to accomadate the long tap roots. Tried roled screens, worked well, but was more costly. Filled tubs with dirt, but became god awfully heavy. even with the deeper tubs filled with dirt, the roots still extended to bottom.
so trying this method, did not need moss to keep in frig. and 2 bins for 30 plants. will see how it goes. The nuts themselves came from trees i've planted yrs ago

Guessing here, take some PVC pipe and cut it in half, duct tape it back together and put a screen on the bottom.

You are off and running
Be forewarned .......the addiction is absolute
i started growing them from seed in 2016 and continue on an annual basis
Cant imagine the backyard without containers of baby trees

bill
I went cold turkey...Still have the urge but other habitat project have captured my interest. Every now and then, I just have to go admire the trees I've planted over the years!

Not using pots, peat moss block turned up on side. Have been doing these projects for years. Have not been able to find a decent pot long enough to accomadate the long tap roots. Tried roled screens, worked well, but was more costly. Filled tubs with dirt, but became god awfully heavy. even with the deeper tubs filled with dirt, the roots still extended to bottom.
so trying this method, did not need moss to keep in frig. and 2 bins for 30 plants. will see how it goes. The nuts themselves came from trees i've planted yrs ago
Which in itself is gratifying

Many ways to grow chestnuts

bill

There are lots of deep pots out there. Just depends how long you want to keep them before planting out. I generally start nuts toward the end of February and plant out late may and into June.

Attachments

• 20220219_185117.jpg
    20220219_185117.jpg
    446.5 KB · Views: 36
There are lots of deep pots out there. Just depends how long you want to keep them before planting out. I generally start nuts toward the end of February and plant out late may and into June.
The advantage of starting them in Feb and planting in May (adjust dates for your location) over direct seeding, is simply not having to provide protection for nuts that may not germinate. It gives you one shot at culling.

Using a root pruning container system and keeping them for one or two growing seasons, allows 3 or 4 levels of culling as well as providing faster growth. Of course, you need to live in an environment where the top foot of soil does not dry out for this to work. For an arid environment, keeping a tap root is probably a better bet. In this kind of environment, I don't think I'd start them indoors. I'd just direct seed them and protect the nuts letting nature cold stratify them. The exception to this would be if I was far enough south that the nuts would not naturally cold stratify outdoors. IN that case, one would have to cold stratify them.

Thanks,

Jack

Are those hazelnuts I spy in the bucket?

Also, what are your thoughts on those cone-tainers? I've been considering purchasing some for getting some oaks and hazelnuts started indoors. I've heard at least one account that they do not work very well for chestnuts.

Last edited:
Are those hazelnuts I spy in the bucket?

Also, what are your thoughts on those cone-tainers? I've been considering purchasing some for getting some oaks and hazelnuts started indoors. I've heard at least one account that they do not work very well for chestnuts.
Yes, hazelnuts, iirc. None took.😄
I've been using them for many years, though I only start a dozen or 2 chestnuts a year. I haven't noticed any issues, but I do think chestnuts are more fussy about moisture.

I've been using them for many years, though I only start a dozen or 2 chestnuts a year. I haven't noticed any issues, but I do think chestnuts are more fussy about moisture.
Yep, that is the biggest issue most folks have. Rain water is best. They seem to like to be drenched and then dry out and then drenched again. Note that this experience is with roommakers and promix that is very well drained.

Yep, that is the biggest issue most folks have. Rain water is best. They seem to like to be drenched and then dry out and then drenched again. Note that this experience is with roommakers and promix that is very well drained.
That has been my exact experience too.

Have you ever had hazelnuts take? I have about 50 in the fridge stratifying right now in sphagnum peat moss. This is my first time trying them. How long did you let them stratify?

That was my only try. They were in the fridge all winter.

May be a dumb question, but what is a good source for plantable chestnuts? Thanks.

VV