Thinned Pine Stand

ML&D Inc

Yearling... With promise
Removed 70% of a mature pine stand. Logged it off and burned brush piles. Ant thoughts on restoration/ Cover cropping for deer and Wildlife? Thanks MM

Removed 70% of a mature pine stand. Logged it off and burned brush piles. Ant thoughts on restoration/ Cover cropping for deer and Wildlife? Thanks MM
How big is the stand?

I would take an atv sprayer and spray whole area with plateau/imazapic 8-12oz/acre now. Then in July I would spot spray woody growth with triclopyr 4 2quarts/acre. Or spray whole area again with the triclopyr at rate mentioned above.

Next spring between march-June I would burn the whole area. Then I would burn on a 2-3 year cycle.

Will look like a picture book.

Before we get too far ahead of ourselves, what state are you in? Would manage southern and northern pine stands differently

How big is the stand?

I would take an atv sprayer and spray whole area with plateau/imazapic 8-12oz/acre now. Then in July I would spot spray woody growth with triclopyr 4 2quarts/acre. Or spray whole area again with the triclopyr at rate mentioned above.

Next spring between march-June I would burn the whole area. Then I would burn on a 2-3 year cycle.

Will look like a picture book.
I'm in SE Wisconsin,5 acre stand. Buckthorn is one of my concerns. Was think if I could be a stand of Rye or wheat to grow. I could use this a fuel for fire burn off the undergrowth and manage w/ minimal chemicals?

Get a soil test to determine if amendments are required. Soil in pine stands can be acidic.

Get a soil test to determine if amendments are required. Soil in pine stands can be acidic.
Yes, 4-5 tons of lime/acre. has to dry up so I can burn off Needle Thatch. Also have to do some stump removal and make paths. Wondering if a Fecon can handle the pine stumpage, mostly 12-14"

Yes, 4-5 tons of lime/acre. has to dry up so I can burn off Needle Thatch. Also have to do some stump removal and make paths. Wondering if a Fecon can handle the pine stumpage, mostly 12-14"
I see. You’re wanting food plots and not native habitat.

Read about pine savanna. It’s my favorite habitat. I would consider making one 2 acre plot in the middle, and surround with native habitat like I described above.

There is no way to do it without some herbicides. But the way I gave you only takes one season of herbicide, then maintained by burning.

Check out native habitat (user). He has done his without burning, but has used herbicides and mowing.

I own over100 acres in MN.....in what was a red pine plantation and owned by a timber company prior to my purchase. I had about 70% of the land cleared of mature Pine and Aspen....leaving the burr oaks, birch and areas surrounding my ponds and other pockets of pines. Of the land that was cut.....I let much of it go for natural regeneration......and that has come back as beautiful cover with small pine trees, willows, and birch, aspen and lots of shrubs....as well as to release 100's of small burr oaks which are now up to 25 feet high.

I had a huge forestry machine (mulcher) cut some extra food plot areas after logging......adding to what I had cleared in the past vie my stump grinder and some logging I had done. ( I have ground over 3500 stumps off my land suing a 3 point stump grinder and my tractor). I did not burn much......but did burn a few piles. I was afraid to burn much n the summer.....and I am not around in the winter to do such things.

The forestry machine did a pretty good job of clearing more land......but I had allot of hand work later.....and still ground out more stumps for my food plots. At that time I was into tillage plots.....so I wanted the stumps cut to 6" below ground level. Now with my drill.....just cutting to flush with the ground would work quite well. I now plant ten acres of plots and these are generally long thin plots that wend through the timberland.

The pic below is similar to the machine used to "de stump" my land and do some good clean up. Tho....keep in mind I had a Red Pine plantation.....with 10" to 12" pine trees ever few feet. LOTS of stumps.
vermeer muclcher.jpeg

Last edited:
I had land in Northern MN. I hired a dozer guy to clear out about 3.5 acres in late winter. When spring rolled around I sprayed with Gordon’s Brush Killer / Glyphosate / AMS. Mid Summer I did it again. I also spread about 3,000 pounds of SuperCal 98, a drop in the bucket compared to what a soil test told me.

Come Fall I broadcast a HUGE amount of Winter rye. It didn’t look great during hunting season, very sparse. Then, circumstances made me sell, so I’m not getting to enjoy it anymore. But, I did make it up there to clean up my stuff and clear out. Here’s what it looked like in mid-summer. So pretty. The WR really filled in.

I left every conifer we could when doing the clearing.

fbc559e0e7f8b71dd735ecd4078d66f2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spring rye and clover blend.jpg

This was a pic from last spring just as the snow melted. The rye is just sprouting.....and the deer ar on it in a big way. Not much to eat last year.....and it will be worse this spring (if it ever comes) but I do have better clover this year and all is again covered with winter rye from last fall seeding.
rye 1.jpg

And this ^ is what it looks like as the rye and clover start to mature and the trees leaf out.

Last edited:
I own over100 acres in MN.....in what was a red pine plantation and owned by a timber company prior to my purchase. I had about 70% of the land cleared of mature Pine and Aspen....leaving the burr oaks, birch and areas surrounding my ponds and other pockets of pines. Of the land that was cut.....I let much of it go for natural regeneration......and that has come back as beautiful cover with small pine trees, willows, and birch, aspen and lots of shrubs....as well as to release 100's of small burr oaks which are now up to 25 feet high.

I had a huge forestry machine (mulcher) cut some extra food plot areas after logging......adding to what I had cleared in the past vie my stump grinder and some logging I had done. ( I have ground over 3500 stumps off my land suing a 3 point stump grinder and my tractor). I did not burn much......but did burn a few piles. I was afraid to burn much n the summer.....and I am not around in the winter to do such things.

The forestry machine did a pretty good job of clearing more land......but I had allot of hand work later.....and still ground out more stumps for my food plots. At that time I was into tillage plots.....so I wanted the stumps cut to 6" below ground level. Now with my drill.....just cutting to flush with the ground would work quite well. I now plant ten acres of plots and these are generally long thin plots that wend through the timberland.

The pic below is similar to the machine used to "de stump" my land and do some good clean up. Tho....keep in mind I had a Red Pine plantation.....with 10" to 12" pine trees ever few feet. LOTS of stumps.
View attachment 51231
That's the Machine I need. Thanks for sharing, MM

That's the Machine I need. Thanks for sharing, MM
I had the logger use that machine on about 4 or 5 acres of mature red pine plantation after he was done with the logging. Seems to me it was like 400 hp or so and had an 8 foot head on it. He had it on a lease to try it out.....and said it was the biggest machine in the whole area. He was wondering how well it would do over the top of my land.....but I wanted the stumps to below grade. He said he would make an effort to do that......as he too wanted to know what the machine could do. But....he said if he takes out a set of carbide teeth then I would need to replace them at about $800 (IIRC - maybe a bit more?). I agreed as I figured it was better than using my stump grinder for several days and getting a sore neck, etc. I watched him operate and he really worked that machine......and he did grind up a few rocks too (although I don't have many rocks....I do have a few). Anyway.....he put in nearly a full day and I got about 5 acres more of plots.

Some of the new land is not the best soils......very sandy. I have planted it three times with buckwheat and rye.....but have made little progress with some areas. I plan to put down a truckload of ag lime (23 tons) over the new ground and also spruce up my "old" food plots that have been previously amended with lime. I think this will jump start the new ground and sure wont hurt my old ground.

I had land in Northern MN. I hired a dozer guy to clear out about 3.5 acres in late winter. When spring rolled around I sprayed with Gordon’s Brush Killer / Glyphosate / AMS. Mid Summer I did it again. I also spread about 3,000 pounds of SuperCal 98, a drop in the bucket compared to what a soil test told me.

Come Fall I broadcast a HUGE amount of Winter rye. It didn’t look great during hunting season, very sparse. Then, circumstances made me sell, so I’m not getting to enjoy it anymore. But, I did make it up there to clean up my stuff and clear out. Here’s what it looked like in mid-summer. So pretty. The WR really filled in.

I left every conifer we could when doing the clearing.

fbc559e0e7f8b71dd735ecd4078d66f2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lots of work, sorry you had to sell. If I can get a stand of Rye like this. I'd be greatful. Would give me the tinder to burn .

View attachment 51232

This was a pic from last spring just as the snow melted. The rye is just sprouting.....and the deer ar on it in a big way. Not much to eat last year.....and it will be worse this spring (if it ever comes) but I do have better clover this year and all is again covered with winter rye from last fall seeding.
View attachment 51233

And this ^ is what it looks like as the rye and clover start to mature and the trees leaf out.
Did you use Crimson Clover w/ the Rye?

Did you use Crimson Clover w/ the Rye?
Not yet. Thus far I have planted Medium Red clover, Alice White, Ladino, and various brasica in the fall with 100 lbs of rye. The clover and rye (and some remaining brasica bulbs) are there in the spring for my deer. The rye surpasses the weeds in May and June while the clover quickly re-establishes itself (and I already have last years clover roots too). Then I can plant some of my brasica into the rye / clover and perhaps a mix Crimson clover and Balansa and Frosty Berseem clovers in some areas. Then roller crimp let years winter rye to preserve moisture, suppress weeds and provide mulch and organic material and fertilizer benefits. The rye also provides fawning cover at a critical time in May / June.

In a few areas I am also planning to plant some Egyptian Wheat and Sorghum Sudan Grass, and milo "Strips". Maybe include some left over beans and corn too.....primarily for some vertical cover and as a screen.

The way I see It.....the crimson, Balansa, and Frosty Berseem would gather and fix more nitrogen for the fall planting in late August (Im in zone 3) for my Winter Rye and more Red clover. Maybe some white.....but I got allot now. Thus I am always getting some nitrogen release for the next crops.

Last year I tried to fit a summer release into my plans.....but in zone 3 the growing season seems to short to accomplish this. Instead, I will put off planting anything until early July if I can.

Not yet. Thus far I have planted Medium Red clover, Alice White, Ladino, and various brasica in the fall with 100 lbs of rye. The clover and rye (and some remaining brasica bulbs) are there in the spring for my deer. The rye surpasses the weeds in May and June while the clover quickly re-establishes itself (and I already have last years clover roots too). Then I can plant some of my brasica into the rye / clover and perhaps a mix Crimson clover and Balansa and Frosty Berseem clovers in some areas. Then roller crimp let years winter rye to preserve moisture, suppress weeds and provide mulch and organic material and fertilizer benefits. The rye also provides fawning cover at a critical time in May / June.

In a few areas I am also planning to plant some Egyptian Wheat and Sorghum Sudan Grass, and milo "Strips". Maybe include some left over beans and corn too.....primarily for some vertical cover and as a screen.

The way I see It.....the crimson, Balansa, and Frosty Berseem would gather and fix more nitrogen for the fall planting in late August (Im in zone 3) for my Winter Rye and more Red clover. Maybe some white.....but I got allot now. Thus I am always getting some nitrogen release for the next crops.

Last year I tried to fit a summer release into my plans.....but in zone 3 the growing season seems to short to accomplish this. Instead, I will put off planting anything until early July if I can.
I also raise cattle and this year my plan is to rotationally graze and add cover crops to increase forage biomass. We were very dry here in WI last fall. Last fall I overseeded CR, Crimson Clover, Hairy Vetch ,Winter Peas and Annual Rye Grass into my Paddocks. This Feb 7th I frost seeded Balady Berseem and Medium Red. Currently I see the Vetch , CR , AR and Clover emerging. No sign of the winter peas. Question? Can you add in Brassicas or will the allelopathic effect of CR effect Germination?