These guys Ruined

bigboreblr

5 year old buck +
Are these rootstocks ruined? Temporary fencing came down sometime over the weekend. I have treekote I can put on them. All of these were planning to get grafted. Got plenty of rabbits here......
20221213_165633.jpg

Attachments

• 20221213_165637.jpg
    20221213_165637.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 38
Based on my experience ... yes. Once cambium in removed, no energy gets to upper tree.

I was planning to graft them this spring.

pinky - idex finger width most pinky width. Were typical bareroots ordered april 2022. Dug them up to put other trees in their spots last weekend. Didn't get around to the little cages, had to work late a few night lat week.

Brandon did a victory lap on my tree nursery..... 4 or 5 dont looked wrecked, put treekote on them. 4 or 5 plum trees in there too with a nibble or two on them. They got coated too.

If there is bark left at the bottom, graft there in the spring. Or wait a year and graft what sprouts next spring.

I had a bunch mowed off at 3” by rabbits at the height of the snow. All survived.

Protect what you have left and relax.

How deep is the snow?, I would cut it off at where they started to 360 girth it, wax the top and hope there is a viable bud sight above the graft union and below where they chewed, otherwise as stated let it shoot up again and regraft....

Not grafted yet. Bought as bareroots. Snow was about 2 inches. Not all of them girdled 360.

The roots are still fine, you’ll just have to graft below where the rabbits got the bark. If that’s too low, cut them off and you’ll have to wait until next year when they resprout or else bud graft this fall. Or cleft graft into the roots. Definitely ways around it, just maybe not as convenient as whip & tongue grafting.

I had success with a root graft on a dolgo rootstock. I only did one, but it did well.

Nurse along any with one bud below the girdle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not grafted yet. Bought as bareroots. Snow was about 2 inches. Not all of them girdled 360.
your good to go, you can graft in the spring then, just get down to some good bark/cambium even if its down at or below the soil level, as mentioned you can always root graft as well. Often when I whip graft im cutting down right near the roots anyways to size the scion to the root stocks in equal dia. If you have to bench graft the rootstock - you can always replant it.

If there is bark left at the bottom, graft there in the spring. Or wait a year and graft what sprouts next spring.

I had a bunch mowed off at 3” by rabbits at the height of the snow. All survived.

Protect what you have left and relax.

Yep, I have been down this road before also. All is not lost!

I'll take a close look at them this weekend. I actually was tempted to let one or two be antonovka's like their parent seed. See what develops, worse case topwork. I did add 3 trees to a turkey tree order I have coming this spring, just incase a few need an extar year to grow back.

All my purchased trees are either leafed, or close to it. My grafted stuff is looking lazy. All my kerr onto antonovka is showing little red points. All my M111 grafts aren't really budding yet. Buds are a touch swollen. The antonovka bareroots were established in the nursery last summer, the M111's were bench grafted and planted early march. I need to mulch the M111's. Maybe their soil is colder than the mulched and rooted anty's.

After my arm was injured, I had someone help me graft my remaining scions onto my mature mcintosh herd. The buds were fat and fuzzy grey when grafted onto the tree. Were these grafted too late? Needed some budding steroid that already passed?

My indoor grafts are 5 for 6. Only a crossbow grafted onto anty didn't leaf out, buds aren't swollen and little leafs are coming out of the rootstock section. Snipped off the flowers off trailman and all winter hangover. The M111's were from 39th parallel and looked good. 2 M111's were pu tindoor on root maker pots and budded out.

New grafts usually slower than your established trees? We did get this weird spell of weather here in NY.