The Wise Apple

greyphase

5 year old buck +
Anyone growing the Court Pendu Plat variety of apple. Also known as the Wise Apple it's a very late blooming apple so it misses the late frosts. I grafted 2 in 2014 one on B118 and one on M7. The M7 one is still in silver tip and the B118 has just went green tip. All my other apples are fully leafed out and blooming. Golden Hornet is listed as a pollinating partner for it. It was first recorded in France in 1613 and believed to have been grown by the Romans, so any apple that's been grafted on for that length of time must have some good traits.
4-20-17%20071_zpstr4au1xl.jpg

I grafted 1 this year, so mines not even existing yet. You win.....

Anyone growing the Court Pendu Plat variety of apple. Also known as the Wise Apple it's a very late blooming apple so it misses the late frosts. I grafted 2 in 2014 one on B118 and one on M7. The M7 one is still in silver tip and the B118 has just went green tip. All my other apples are fully leafed out and blooming. Golden Hornet is listed as a pollinating partner for it. It was first recorded in France in 1613 and believed to have been grown by the Romans, so any apple that's been grafted on for that length of time must have some good traits.
4-20-17%20071_zpstr4au1xl.jpg

I have some 2 year old trees like yours that are just starting to break bud on M111. I believe everything else is much farther along, which lead to the question what are we going to use to cross pollinate them?!

That was one of my first yard trees when I started grafting years back. Had Zabergau grafted on it as well.
It got a canker and before I realized all I needed to do was cut out the bad wood I cut the whole tree down as a precaution.
Slaps self on the forehead rudely.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

I have some 2 year old trees like yours that are just starting to break bud on M111. I believe everything else is much farther along, which lead to the question what are we going to use to cross pollinate them?!

The Orange Pippin website lists Brown Snout, Dabinett, Golden Hornet, Herefordshire Redstreak, Kingston Black, Northern Spy, & Stoke Red as pollinators, most of which are English cider apples. They also noted that any white blossomed crab makes an excellent pollinator because they produce very large quantities of pollen over a long period of time. I have a number of white blossomed crabs growing through my orchards so I should be OK.

Well I have a couple of white blossomed crabs as well so we will see, otherwise I will have to graft one of those others.