The Swamp Tank

Tree Spud

5 year old buck +
I picked up my new ARGO XTV. This thing is a beast! Went with the 8x8 with tracked wheels. So far I have been able to go anywhere in our marsh that I have wanted to go. It has climbed over logs that were 14-16" above ground.

It in amphibious, has a bilge pump, and will float, and propel like a boat with the tracks. You can even get a outboard motor mount, don't think I will do that. Power wise it has a Briggs V-Twin 40 hp liquid cooled motor with plenty of power for towing. Snow has been no problem. This thing will allow me to get to 2/3 of our property I could get into and will also be able to recover a deer in there. And a Warn Winch on the front. Time to start planning some new stands.

IMG_20230107_155851.jpg

IMG_20230115_132351.jpg

IMG_20230115_131109.jpg

IMG_20230108_132603.jpg

IMG_20230115_125258.jpg

I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An interesting machine for sure. Is there any way those tracks could get flung off? That is always my worry with anything tracked.

Very cool rig if I had a lot of swampy ground or wetlands that would be the way to go or a Russian SHERP if money was no concern.

Damn that thing is cool!

I had an amphibious 6 wheeler, it was an old model, late 70's. I didnt have tracks though. It would go through almost everything. It had 1 weak point, mud with water aout 1 foot deep, and really thin mud. When there is about a foot of water, the thing semi floats, not enough to push you through the water, and to much so that there isnt enough traction on the wheels/tracks. Then with thin mud, it floats on the mud, and you dont have enough traction to push it through the mud. Other then that, it went through everything, and was a fun toy.

Mine did not have suspension, so it made it a rough ride.

Ole man had a Chaparral 6 wheeler back in the 70s and worked like described above. He did put a boat motor bracket on the back too but never used it that way but to test it a few times. The 6 wheels could move you in still water but slowly and in a river current didn't amount to much.

A caution if you use in marshy areas in a river flood plain that stuff can float into the marsh during high water year and get covered up in grass. You smack into stuff and you can crack some fiberglass or take out a headlight. Ole man found that out too.

One other problem with the one I had, was turning in water. ut mine was a 16hp, so it didnt have much power when turning in water.

An interesting machine for sure. Is there any way those tracks could get flung off? That is always my worry with anything tracked.

There is always a way for something to go wrong especially when you push it too hard or mis-use it. Have found that operating in low gear and crawling over things better than pushing too hard and fast. The tracks have claws that reach around the tire so there is good connection there.

Man that is slick!! Hope it works well for you for many years!!