The Rut Has Begun

5 year old buck +
This is the third year I have seen clear rut behavior, vis-a-vis, bucks chasing does, in early October. This is the first time I had the camera set to video, not a three picture burst, so the behavior is easier to see.

Early October Buck Chasing Doe

Last edited:
I should add that I have seen fawns in early May—which would suggest an early October breeding season—on the property. However, most drop in early June, matching the “normal” rut.

Our first rut is going on right now as well.

I just saw a fawn that made me think of this thread. Fawn with spots, teeny tiny. If I took a picture, showed you and said it was from May/June, you wouldn't have questioned it. Very warm, mostly snowless winter here last year, maybe there was an extremely late rut. lol

I don't know that I'd call it rutting behavior but 3 days ago some switch flipped on and it would've been a great time to be in a stand by me. Hopefully the pattern holds through the weekend.

This is about as mature as they get around here.
1000001877.png

This morning before daylight my wife and saw through the headlights a buck chasing a doe across the soybean field on the neighbors farm. Crazy season is here, for sure.

Watched a couple of bucks sparring out in the pasture yesterday morning.

I don't know that I'd call it rutting behavior but 3 days ago some switch flipped on and it would've been a great time to be in a stand by me. Hopefully the pattern holds through the weekend.

View attachment 69363
That’s an old one for sure. I haven’t seen anything other than yearlings up there so far this year in our river bottom land.

They might be feeling frisky and theres always that chance they could breed usually the velvet will be off but pre rut is chasing and rut is breeding so pre rut could be from velvet shed to antler shed I bet

Had some new mature bucks show up in the past 24 hours in SW WI, they are still shifting. Historically my best time frame for picking up pics of new bucks has been Oct 5-15.

Almost the same exact timeframe for me. Maybe a touch later. Monday night’s low is supposed to be in the 30’s. I think the cameras may blow up that night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are seeing some new and returning bucks on camera as well. I am also seeing some yearlings that have been disbursed by the doe groups. It's a fun time of year, for sure.

Ditto. Bucks we haven't had on camera for 4 weeks are showing back up

Stuff just started kicking in for us this past week.

Attachments

• WGI_0384.jpg
    WGI_0384.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 15
  • WGI_0396.JPG
    WGI_0396.JPG
    282.8 KB · Views: 15
  • WGI_0389.JPG
    WGI_0389.JPG
    284.1 KB · Views: 15
  • WGI_0410.JPG
    WGI_0410.JPG
    282.6 KB · Views: 15
  • WGI_0412.JPG
    WGI_0412.JPG
    282.3 KB · Views: 16
Stuff just started kicking in for us this past week.
Whew that's a hell of a PA buck.

Whew that's a hell of a PA buck.
He's certainly eating well.
That's one of the English oaks in my side yard. He's there every morning.

View attachment 69363
The date of this post essentially marked the end of daylight activity, for now. Reviewing all cams I found they were still in bachelor groups up until the 8th or 9th. They have since split and become less frequent and basically nocturnal.