The October Lull?

SD51555

5 year old buck +
I think I experienced it last weekend. We hunted 3 days and never saw a deer. This was in an area with an alarmingly high deer population. Many around us reported the same thing. It was very warm for October 20th. What's the current theory on the lull?

Things slowed down for a while but probably more the deer are making changes. Leaves are falling, their food is shifting and habitat is completely different with leaves gone. I’m noticing tons of pre rut action last 5 days or so.

Like tenpoint said, It probably just has more to do with the day-to-day weather and the fact that the woods have really changed in just the last week or so. Right before the warm-up we had a cold snap. We were getting record amounts of photos of deer including mature bucks. Once the weather shifted to winds of the South, activity basically stopped almost all together, even in the evenings. I think most people don't really buy into the hole lull anymore.

I looked back on photos from this week last year and we had pre-rut action happening everywhere. It's not quite the same this year, which makes me think that that action is happening where we don't have cameras.

Did not hunt, i just won't go out when temps are in the 70's in mid Oct. Checked cameras and there was good activity with some nice 3.5 years old bucks moving in the daytime. Cameras also showed lots of feeding at night when things cooled down.

Around us a lot of corn still up. Too much food there for them to have to move.

Last edited:
I have been getting maybe 1/10th the deer pictures I was getting 2 weeks ago. Mostly smaller bucks right now.

When checking the cameras last weekend, lots of scrapes being opened up. Had some as larger a 5' in diameter.

No such thing as a lull. Human pressure has been building for weeks now and preferred food sources are on their biggest shift of the year. Adapt and overcome.

Yeah, gotta throw the BS flag on this one. Deer r moving.

It was heat here that slowed them up. Cooled down the last two days and they are on the move again. NO daylight buck movement on my place.

My place is dead as a hammer. Not even much nighttime buck pics. September was much better. Theoretically should pick up soon I hope.

I think I experienced it last weekend. We hunted 3 days and never saw a deer. This was in an area with an alarmingly high deer population. Many around us reported the same thing. It was very warm for October 20th. What's the current theory on the lull?
Warm days are a killer in October!

Had temps in the high 60s/low 70s in westerns NY. I had chasing and grunting, scrapes appeared everywhere along with rubs. I hunt big woods so sightings are tough. Although a I mentioned, I heard some serious grunting and chasing within 100 yards.

I have had highs in the lower 40's, lows in the upper 20's to lower 30's this week, very few pictures, or deer movement. Typically I can see a few deer in my food plot in the evening from my patio door, nothing the last few days. Last week when it was 70's, all kinds of deer.

No point, other then I cant blame warm temps the last few days. One would think a 30-40 degree temp drop would make them move?

This weekend will be a little better at least. Still not as cool as I'd like it.

This weekend will be a little better at least. Still not as cool as I'd like it.

Agree, we will be in mid 60's which is not good. Cooler nights may make mornings better if we get a bit of a cool front.

Mornings have been better for me lately. Cooler. I've also moved cameras off food for the most part. Back to rut travel routes and scrape/rub locations.

Things have been pretty steady on our couple properties. Lots of deer consistently on food on my 40 and a couple better bucks started showing up on my parents N MN property last weekend (mostly night pics). Unfortunately the influx of deer up north was followed by the return of the 8+ wolves last night that spent most of august/sept on the property. They showed up on a good # of cell cams the first night. I won't be able to hunt till Halloween but I feel like the "lull" is over and we're real close to prime time deer killing days.

We seem to experience it every year. Food sources are changing and they are changing from summer coats to winter coats. Patterns are changing as well as when movement occurs. I found with the 24/7/365 wireless camera network that my total picture count of deer doesn't change much during this period. It seems more of the movement is at night and the cool of early morning with less in the last hour of daylight when it is still pretty warm.