The MNDOT Food Plot

SD51555

5 year old buck +
We can’t say the government is completely against deer. They did just put in 15 miles of premium clover and alfalfa along hwy 200 going east out of Walker.

0e7d4a86b5b5668f6500a61993de5609.jpg

9e2d887b2dcb951c215389eedb50c4ba.jpg

205b6ddde49c6efdfc92cd98f289358b.jpg

ce60c10b9450d984820826975bc24906.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bemidji here- after our recent pipeline projects there were quite a few miles that had oats for a cover crop too!

I enjoy the fact that you stopped along 200 and took a pic!

I’ve seen the same on highway 36 rolling east to west through Missouri. Erosion control would be the likely excuse.

I have seen them bailing hay along MN highways right of ways. Guess you can apply for a permit. No such program in WI as the local governments just have crews out cutting stuff and leaving it lay. Maybe planting better forage and utilizing all that land is not such a bad idea, unless you count critter roadkills I guess.

Bemidji here- after our recent pipeline projects there were quite a few miles that had oats for a cover crop too!

I enjoy the fact that you stopped along 200 and took a pic!

Decades back they rebuild the road through Keliher and Waskish. Birdsfoot trefoil was planted or at least growing very heavily on the ditch banks and the road was full of deer at night.

Stop to see the hottest food plot in the north land this weekend. It was full of deer as I drove back last night.

401f07f0880fbb600cc74eadc9331d6a.jpg

5ccc0ebdb152e9f3f91493b4d0618959.jpg

Real smart !!🙄

What kind of clover is that?

What kind of clover is that?
I wish I knew. I'm fairly certain these guys don't lime or fertilize these ditches. Got me to wondering if the road salt doesn't help raise the pH over time and make that ditch forage a sweeter draw than normal.

My guess on the clover is Frosty Berseem. Final answer.

That is a hell of a food plot for up there.

We live on a county hwy that they improved last year. They tore up about 30' into our front yard in the process and were so kind as to plant a DOT mix rather than putting it back into a lawn like it was prior. My wife wasn't impressed.

I did look up the MNDOT mixes and didn't see any that seemed to be for sure this but the only clover listed that would look like that is Red Clover.

Last edited:
Guy from work was up to the U P last weekend. He said the ditches were full of deer.

Poachers dream come true.