The joys of southern habitat management.

I think I accidentally stepped on this baby copperhead this weekend. I was setting up a hunting blind, and was reading the instructions on the ground when I saw the dead snake next to me.IMG_20220904_134715833.jpg

Yes. This is baby copperhead season. Top time to be bit. They are small but can give a lot of venom.

Copperheads, rattlesnakes, the odd coral, and lousy with cottonmouths - at least we used to be. Used to be common to see five venomous snakes in a day of bush hogging - now I might see five venomous snakes all year. I think the hogs and gators have cleaned them out.

Must have moved up to alabama. I see a ton of them.

Was mowing one of my summer plots. There were a ton of moles and rodents in field. Too good of eating for the snakes to pass up.

Must have moved up to alabama. I see a ton of them.

Was mowing one of my summer plots. There were a ton of moles and rodents in field. Too good of eating for the snakes to pass up.
No rats or mice here, either. Bush hogged the last three days and did not see a snake - saw one cotton rat. Ten year ago would have seen several hundred cotton rats.