tests for ponds?

Powder

5 year old buck +
I'm kicking around the idea of buying piece of land that has a 6.5 acre pond. The pond was created when they stripped out gravel. At this time I know very little about the pond other than the size. I don't even know if it has fish in it or the depth. From my foodplotting experience I know how everyone stresses that getting a soil test is the very first step in the process so you know what you're working with. Is there a similar test or tests that need to be done on a pond? Where should I start?

Yes. First, check the pH. These kits are readily available. I used them all the time for my ponds and aquariums.

If it was only gravel they removed, my guess is it will be pretty good for fish. I used to fish in a pond in a gravel quarry.

Just make sure there's no other mining or drilling near it. Many ponds and marshes up in NE Ohio near the coal and oil sites are absolutely ruined.

Test equipment should consist of; a beetle-spin, a worm (Carolina rig), and a bare hook with a minnow through the lips. I've fished a lot of strip ponds and they are usually pretty good, but as said above your area might be different. Is it in a flyway? Duck hunting might be good. Can you find it on Google Earth? I've found satellite pics can tell quite a bit about a pond.

I would try and find out what you can from a neighbor or someone local that might have some info on it.
It's hard to go wrong with a pond...they are all a lot of fun.

It's hard to go wrong with a pond...they are all a lot of fun.

My uncle has a pond by a strip mine in NW Ohio. It's too acidic to support fish. And he won't fix the pH behause the heavy metals and other pollutants would make the fish dangerous to eat anyway. I'm looking into the feasibility of planting millet on the edges for waterfowl.

I've seen many ponds in SW Ohio that have similar problems for drainage from old drift mines. And Killbuck Marsh seems to be totally polluted by the oil pumps.