Terrible soil

Charman03

5 year old buck +
Guys, my one place I’m growing trees has terrible heavy clay poorly drained soils.

The trees are growing terribly here, hardly any growth. Most are young trees and small so I believe I’m going to dig them up while still dormant early spring and redo some things.

My plan is to remove a pocket of these bad soils and put something better in its place. How big of an area is recommended per tree and should I use a mushroom soil/topsoil mix? I can get this local in the bed of my truck and drive right up to each area.

Additionally, I think I’m going to use a “raised bed” for each tree to get it a little higher out of the ground for when things are really wet. I saw a video where this was recommended.

I know it’s a lot of extra work but it’s only for 8-10 trees at the moment and I think is worth it in the long run, otherwise I’m not wasting anymore money on trees over there.

Thoughts/recommendations?

What rootstock are you using?

I'd think about the raised mounds before making a bathtub.

Guys, my one place I’m growing trees has terrible heavy clay poorly drained soils.

The trees are growing terribly here, hardly any growth. Most are young trees and small so I believe I’m going to dig them up while still dormant early spring and redo some things.

My plan is to remove a pocket of these bad soils and put something better in its place. How big of an area is recommended per tree and should I use a mushroom soil/topsoil mix? I can get this local in the bed of my truck and drive right up to each area.

Additionally, I think I’m going to use a “raised bed” for each tree to get it a little higher out of the ground for when things are really wet. I saw a video where this was recommended.

I know it’s a lot of extra work but it’s only for 8-10 trees at the moment and I think is worth it in the long run, otherwise I’m not wasting anymore money on trees over there.

Thoughts/recommendations?
Raised bed sounds like the right move. Pears don't line wet feet either. Half sand, half composted soil would be the ideal mix.

Using b118, emla 111, ant etc.

Agreed raised beds not a hole with other soil or you will have a bathtub!!

Charman03 - According to Penn State's head of their fruit tree program, Dr. Rich Marini, MM-111 / emla - 111 is the best rootstock for heavier, clay-ish type soils. He said it's the one most suited to heavier soils that don't drain well, and it's resistant to several diseases as well. I spoke to him by e-mail on several occasions about which rootstocks to use at my camp. He was very accommodating when I e-mailed questions to him, and sent me detailed info to answer my questions and expand on apple tree knowledge. He said apple trees in general don't like "wet feet". He's been a huge help !! Mound might be the better option. FWIW.

How is raised bed better than bathtub?

What qualifies as a raised bed ? Dimensions? Composition?

bill

How is raised bed better than bathtub?

What qualifies as a raised bed ? Dimensions? Composition?

bill

I’m going to look more into this but I believe a 2x12 framing say like 6x6 would probably be plenty. I gotta try something because what’s there just isn’t working. Probably no nutrients in the soil either, should probable test it

How long have these trees been in the ground? I found that trees we rplanted on poorer soil did not grow well for about 3 years and then took off. It seems that they were putting all their energy into producing root systems to cope with the poorer soil. Once they were established, they really took off. Now, they are every bit as large as trees planted in better soils and have produced apples at six years old. That is sooner than we expected.

Most apple tree roots are in the top 18" of soil