Terminating Ryegrass

Travis Bahrt

Yearling... With promise
I received permission to hunt a new property the other day. Mostly all timber but it dose have a power line that runs through it. The land owner have me permission to plant whatever I would like in the power line. The only problem is that is brother in law planted a BOB mix last year in the power line and looks to be all ryegrass. I understand ryegrass can be a real pain to get rid of but what are my options to terminate it? I would of liked to frost seed clover in a month ish, but I don't see that's being beneficial with ryegrass in the plot. Any help would be awesome.

Hit with a good dose of gly on a warm day after it's greened up, the key is to kill it before letting it go to seed. When I first started food plotting I used BOB seed blends and dealt with rye grass, it's a pain but I never experienced the major headaches from it that others have. It can be dealt with easily with a couple well timed spray applications.

Last edited:
Peplins advice will work. Good luck.

The problem is that it can come back once established. Gly will do a good job for the initial kill. You might consider planting buckwheat as a smother crop after you kill it. Buckwheat is so fast and competitive that it will shade it out if it tries to bounce back. You can spray a second time after the buckwheat is done and you plant for fall if you see it returning.

Thanks,

Jack

I planted a mixture with High sugar rye grass a while 3 years ago, as of last fall, I am still fighting trying to get rid of it. I planted it, then afterwards came on to a certain forum, and was told it was a big no no, so I nuked it after a month, and over seeded that area with everything I plant to smother it out. I will say I have about 90% of it gone, but it doesnt want to give up in the shadier areas of my plots. I also planted some on an old logging road, I have left that alone, and it doesnt seem like it is spreading anywhere, but it is still thriving, and thick.

One reason I might not have much of an issue with it is that I haven't put it in any plot that is perinial food plot. So where I have planted it gets spray atleast once a year and after a couple of years it's not a problem... idk... anyway I know we talk about how bad it is. I don't really use it any more but when I did and planted it with oats, it seemed like I had more deer activity constantly in my plots with that mix. Which is odd because I don't think it's nearly as healthy for the deer as cereal grains. So I am sure a little left over isn't gonna hurt anything especially if you spray yearly. If your trying to grow a clover plot, then that's a different story. I would consider still planting ryegrass in small backwoods plots if desperate enough and running out of time in my planting windows. The point I am trying to make is that it can be dealt with and even if it wants to come back, it's not the end of the world. Nail it with gly again if you have time.

Thanks for the info guys, I am thinking I will plan on spraying at green up, then putting buckwheat and maybe winter rye in. Come July I will spray it and broadcast my fall seed then roll. Haven't decided on what fall seed yet. Do you guys think that I could use the same method to put my BW and WR in the ground? Spray the ryegrass wait a couple days, broadcast my BW and WR and roll or mow over top of it?

Last edited: