Teosinte....have you tried it

Eggman

5 year old buck +
I had never seen or heard of this plant before moving to FL. After seeing it planted and hunting doves and turkeys over these fields and plots I want to share with all of you.

I am not sure how far north it will grow but my farm in NC grows a great crop when planted in May.

IMG_3091.JPGIMG_3092.JPGIMG_3093.JPG

These fields are planted in Florida as late season dove fields. They were planted in early June. The plant will get 7 to 9 feet tall and produce multiple small ear seed heads.

These plants die with the first frost but remain standing all winter (both in NC and FL). Deer will use this cover to bed and hide in, it makes great late season dove shoots, and turkeys will destroy it in the the spring once they find the seed heads.

If you mow it once it is dry you had better have a cab tractor or a good pair of glasses on because the seed goes everywhere.

I will continue to post pics as these fields mature. For those of you who plan screens you should look into this plant as I think you would really like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never heard of it before. It looks similar to millet (which I like for cover and dove hunting). Looks like I need to do some research...