Tar River SAYA-507 No Till Drill

I appreciate that Tar River is upgrading the quality control on the 505 and 507 No-Till Drills. The link below is from the Tar River/Saya forum on Facebook.

I appreciate that Tar River is upgrading the quality control on the 505 and 507 No-Till Drills. The link below is from the Tar River/Saya forum on Facebook.

I should mention that this post is from a Tar River executive leader who has been lurking on these forums. Special thanks to ATH member Foggy47 whose early posts on this and the Facebook forum helped informed these positive developments. My drill seemed to have been not only built on a Monday or Friday, but on a Monday or Friday before a long weekend. If Tar River can start delivering drills that are user ready (and provide some videos on setting the top link and balancing the drill, which are two major reasons folks complain about soil penetration), the Saya 505 and 507 are perfect drills for the average food plotter who is doing under 30 acres per year.

I was lucky in that my dealer went through the unit before delivery (I had notified the salesman from reading this forum about the terrible QC and he promised they wouldn't deliver it until it was set up properly). He said it took hours of shop time to get it right, including doing some test planting with soy beans. I'm getting ready for fall planting. Spring was almost a total loss as we went 4 full weeks with no rain after I planted in May. Some millet and brassicas grew but it ended up mainly weeds. I mowed and sprayed a couple weeks ago and will plant as soon as it dries out a bit BUT with some rain in the forecast (terrible storms the last couple days).
I'm still working on better depth control - I'm not at all mechanically inclined but the embedded videos above have been vary helpful! Another problem I had in spring was the hydraulic top link I had purchased wouldn't hold position with the weight of the unit and it was impossible to keep it level. I just replaced it with beefier unit with check valves from Agri Supply (super fast free shipping and excellent phone support for me). That should help a great deal.
Removing those cheapie "dials" and replacing with a nut and wrench combo is the brilliant kind of mod I would never think of.
VERY helpful site...

I was lucky in that my dealer went through the unit before delivery (I had notified the salesman from reading this forum about the terrible QC and he promised they wouldn't deliver it until it was set up properly). He said it took hours of shop time to get it right, including doing some test planting with soy beans. I'm getting ready for fall planting. Spring was almost a total loss as we went 4 full weeks with no rain after I planted in May. Some millet and brassicas grew but it ended up mainly weeds. I mowed and sprayed a couple weeks ago and will plant as soon as it dries out a bit BUT with some rain in the forecast (terrible storms the last couple days).
I'm still working on better depth control - I'm not at all mechanically inclined but the embedded videos above have been vary helpful! Another problem I had in spring was the hydraulic top link I had purchased wouldn't hold position with the weight of the unit and it was impossible to keep it level. I just replaced it with beefier unit with check valves from Agri Supply (super fast free shipping and excellent phone support for me). That should help a great deal.
Removing those cheapie "dials" and replacing with a nut and wrench combo is the brilliant kind of mod I would never think of.
VERY helpful site...
At the price point of the Tar River drill.....it's about the only decent solution on a new grain drill if you want to keep your costs down and still wander into the no-till world. (I'm aware of a few other brands with similar products.....but Tar River seems to have the best following at this time.)

I'm glad the good folks that assemble and market these drills have taken steps to assemble a better product. Especially, when you're offering somewhat marginal components.....they really need to be put together to function correctly and operations need to keep components woking right. <----- That is a huge task with some folks like us that do not have much experience in such things. Nice to see some manufactures listen to feedback on these forums and that one on Facebook. Brands can be "made or killed" via social media these days. Ask Budweiser. grin.

From my time spent with the Tar River Saya 5, after everything is aligned right and adjusted to drill seeds properly.....you still will need to keep a vigilant eye on fasteners and chain adjustments, and a few more issues that can arise with these drills. I would suggest that you spend some time on the Facebook page for Tar River Owners for some pretty good solutions to the weak areas on these drills. One I would like to point out.....is that the attachment means of those slicing coulters are a bit sketchy. I think before each use you should lift the drill and try to wobble these blades to check the bearings for excessive play. It does take a few minutes to remove the dust covers and find a big enough wrench to snug those big nuts holding those blades. A few of mine worked loose with time.

I have not yet heard of anyone removing the slicing Coulters and using the drill as a conventional drill. (Tar River also makes a conventional 3 Point Drill). It may be that the drill operates BEttER in no-till efforts without those front coulters. Some feel that (on competitive brands) the extra slicing coulters takes more weight than without them to penetrate the ground. Dunno.

I went to a 3P500 Great Plains conventional drill and use it in a no-till fashion. Due to my light soils I can "get away" without a heavy no-till drill model. I'm reading and hearing from many other farmers / users that do not use the front coulters on their respective drills too. I suppose over the next few years some more good solutions will evolve. I think Tar River has done good things for us food plot guys by bringing these drills to the market.......and by further listening to the users issues with the products. Hopefully some you tube videos on this product will follow and a good operators manual would help too.

Having spent some time in the manufacturing biz.....I know it's not easy to keep the prices in line and provide the top shelf components in every situation. They are doing a quite credible job......but I for one, would rather spend another $100 / $200 and have better quality fasteners and lock-nut provisions in some areas.....and maybe a few stainless bolts in other areas. Of course....you can continue this line of thought until you become too expensive for what it is. Sigh. That is why leading brands cost more.

I like quality tools.....so while I did not have huge issues with the Tar River Saya.......I did spend about double the price and bought a Great Plains product. They are not without a few issues too.....but I think I may be happier in my old age with the quality and support of the higher priced product. ?? who knows ??

I was hoping to put in my fall plots, but we’ve had 3” of rain, so my plans fell through. I am looking forward to using the drill with the new 5-series tractor…I purchased a hydraulic top link online, but one of the input threads was mis-tapped. I’ll likely go to Tractor Supply and pick one up…

As for the drill, mine was built in the “pre-inspection” days. I had to spend a full day getting things lined up, and it still needs work. However, the milo-soy blend I planted is doing well. The Tar River is the only drill on the market that will work for lighter lift capacity tractors such as the John Deere 3E series.

Overall, I think it is the right tool for my needs. With a growing number of Tar River owners, the support network is improving, which makes “trial and error” less of a necessity.

Last edited:
We're rain soaked here as well and I'm working this weekend. Still hope to get fall seeds in before Labor Day, but won't make the mistake of planting with no rain in sight again.
Picked up seeds Monday. Plan to make a plywood "floor" for the tiller this week to adjust the depth more precisely after watching that outstanding Youtube video. Also cut a dado into the middle of a 4' 2x4 to check Coulter/seeder alignment, but still have the brush hog mounted on the Kubota.
I want to get one more mow on the fields I sprayed before planting but it's way too wet to run over it with a 5000# tractor/brush hog right now. I might try to mow with my Ventrac if/when it stops raining, realizing I may not do the finish blades on it any favors.
Reflecting on all the issues here, I must say again that my dealer made it very close before dropping it off last year.

Reactions: 356
Lost lease, thinking about selling. Never used, 507, North Central North Carolina. Aligned coulter's and openers, tighten bolts, sitting on gravel, only hooked to tractor to off load.
$6,800IMG_20220809_180209051_HDR.jpg

I get several inquires on social media about the Tar River/Saya No-Til. I have the 5’ seven row 505 version. This is my first year using the drill, but I can attest that the drill has done a good job of putting seeds in the ground. Here is the late season Milo I planted on the property edges and firebreaks. As noted throughout this thread, spending a day setting up the drill pays dividends.

IMG_3343.jpeg

First year update. I am pleased with the results from my first year drilling soy, Milo and clover with the Tar River Saya 505. For those who are wanting to get into NT/regenerative plotting, the Tar River is likely the best entry level option at this time. Key take-homes include:
A) Read up on the drill on this forum and the Facebook Tar River Saya forum.
B) Take time setting up the drill before first use and be sure to “level” the drill. On level ground I was surprised to realize my link arms were not level. This was the only implement that demonstrated an issue with this imperfection that is easy to fix.
C) A hydraulic top link is not required, but is helpful when adapting to changing soil conditions “on the fly.”
D) Calibration is very easy on this drill, and some great charts are available on the facebook forum to get you “close” on about any seed or blend.

Below is a trail I drilled into in July. I drilled first, then came through with my ATV and sprayed with Glyphosate. The drill (or any 3pt or small drill) provides some neat options for maximizing habitat space. This “trail” is part of what will be a late season shooting lane.

IMG_3498.jpeg

First year update. I am pleased with the results from my first year drilling soy, Milo and clover with the Tar River Saya 505. For those who are wanting to get into NT/regenerative plotting, the Tar River is likely the best entry level option at this time. Key take-homes include:
B) Take time setting up the drill before first use and be sure to “level” the drill. On level ground I was surprised to realize my link arms were not level. This was the only implement that demonstrated an issue with this imperfection that is easy to fix.
C) A hydraulic top link is not required, but is helpful when adapting to changing soil conditions “on the fly.”
D) Calibration is very easy on this drill, and some great charts are available on the facebook forum to get you “close” on about any seed or blend.

Below is a trail I drilled into in July. I drilled first, then came through with my ATV and sprayed with Glyphosate. The drill (or any 3pt or small drill) provides some neat options for maximizing habitat space. This “trail” is part of what will be a late season shooting lane.

View attachment 58689

Yes, the hydraulic top link is not needed but, makes this drill way better to use. Makes it's way easier to travel when moving planting area to planting.

I love being able to back up to a big bunch of willow/Silky/Gray dogwood etc. with the planter up, no scuffing the ground with the flaps, drop into place, tip to proper depth then drive away planting. 😇

View attachment 58689
That looks great 356! I love the layered or feathering. I really think deer feel more comfortable that way. I too like being able to adjust and plant some cool small areas. Drill makes my large destination plots look good, but I actually love to hunt my 0.5 acre hidey holes more and my drill does great.

Congrats again.

Reactions: 356