SWO issue

Shedder

5 year old buck +
https://picasaweb.google.com/104555298627025831872/SWOSeptember152015?authkey=Gv1sRgCMGZysup7PS1Dg

Any idea what is wrong with this SWO?
It puts out shoots every year like a hairbrush that die back and reshoot. It is losing limbs now too. The leaves look very healthy but the leader is not growing so there is no growth in height.

The tree was from nursery stock but likely not a cultivar.

Really strange that the foliage looks so healthy and the wood looks very "sick"? :confused: That tree should be producing a pretty good amount of acorns but I do not see any in the pics, had they all dropped at the time the pics were taken or does it not make acorns?

Looks like its growing on a lawn. Any fertilizer with broadleaf weed killer spread on that lawn by any chance?

Maybe but other trees seem unaffected.

Really strange that the foliage looks so healthy and the wood looks very "sick"? :confused: That tree should be producing a pretty good amount of acorns but I do not see any in the pics, had they all dropped at the time the pics were taken or does it not make acorns?

I have watched it for 3 years and have never seen an acorn on it. It is the SWO there but robur oaks are next to it and burs 125 yards away. I wish it had acorns as it is the only one I have seen in 100 miles around here.

As Stu said for chemicals being a possibility. The other I can think of would be this is next to a paved road. Could there be snow piled up near it in the winter and road salts?

No snow, some salt but other trees see the same thing.