Switchgrass laying down- in August?

titan23_87

5 year old buck +
I have a 4-5 year stand of cave-in-rock switchgrass, that for the first time this year it started to lay down in late July-now here in August. We’ve had steady rains through the summer but no flooding, no strong winds either…
I sprayed 1-2 qrt/acres of 2 4D in July to help clean up unwanted broadleafs (this is a screen, not a targeted bedding).
Could that have caused unwanted stress on the switch?
Any other reason??

IMG_5108.jpegIMG_5109.jpeg
@Sligh1

Last edited:
Is it just in small groups like above? Possible bedding?

Some of the grass looks yellowed which suggests its dying or stressed.

Is it just in small groups like above? Possible bedding?

Some of the grass looks yellowed which suggests it’s dying or stressed.
No it’s not bedding. Most of the switchgrass is like this. The switch is 10-15 yard wide strips for screening.

Here’s a close up of the grass. I agree some is discolored… almost as you see it do closer to the Fall..

IMG_5111.jpeg

Can’t speak for switch specifically, but when we spot spray 2-4d or Remedy it will burn the grass around where we spray. Ours doesn’t get that tall so I don’t know if it would lay over, but it could. Never has a long term effect thankfully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sometimes see NWSGs lay down early in low spots where water might flow just a tad after a hard rain. I’m not talking about spots that are normally wet or steep - just little dips where water might briefly flow after a cloudburst.

And yes, I’ve seen 24d burn grass in the summer.

So if it was the 24d burning the grass, no long term effect, next year back to status quo??

Have you ever done a controlled burn on this grass? I don't have any switchgrass, but I plan to. I've read it should be burned or mowed and hayed at around 3-5 years to keep it vigorous. Doubletree recommended this I believe.

Have you ever done a controlled burn on this grass? I don't have any switchgrass, but I plan to. I've read it should be burned or mowed and hayed at around 3-5 years to keep it vigorous. Doubletree recommended this I believe.
I haven’t done a controlled burn.
If the grass did get burned from 24D will it bounce back fine next year?

I haven’t done a controlled burn.
If the grass did get burned from 24D will it bounce back fine next year?
Yes

I have 4-5 year old cave in rock that has done the same thing this year. It isn't the first year that this happened in summer time. I believe the culprit this year was some stronger winds. In the past when the grass has gone dormant it has stiffened up a little and stood back up.