Switchgrass help

mtholton

5 year old buck +
Checked on my switchgrass plantings for the first time in month. Assuming the grass in the pics is switchgrass (?), it seems to be doing great in the first picture which was the most important screening area. Assuming that is switchgrass, thanks to all of you for the advice. If it's not - thats on me!

This is my first attempt at switchgrass - I planted three areas, all food plot screens with Cave in Rock. I'm fortunate that the layout of most of my land has topography near the road that limits the view of my property from people passing through. The small areas that are visible I've planted thousands of spruce, but wanted to get a faster shorter term screen. The first picture is an area that I added a small orchard (left side of pic) this year and a food plot. You can see the trees sticking up above the cover crop if you loo close. Will be easy to access and assuming my screens work, will be nice and isolated despite its closer proximity to the road. One of the areas planted seems to be less dense and have some type of weed in it.

1. Confirming this is switchgrass:).
2. For the area with flower/weeds (last pic), what would your recommended course of action be? What kind of weed is that? There is grass, but weeds mixed in. I didn't get a good pic of the white flower/weed. The final pic is zoomed in to show it a bit better. The screen is on the left side of the pic, the right side of the pic to the right of the post will be a fall food plot, it's just un worked right now. I made a triable/tear drop type shape with the switchgrass.

Attachments

• switch1.jpeg
    switch1.jpeg
    187.6 KB · Views: 24
  • switch2.jpg
    switch2.jpg
    694.4 KB · Views: 26
  • switch3.jpg
    switch3.jpg
    641.6 KB · Views: 22
  • switch4.jpeg
    switch4.jpeg
    361.5 KB · Views: 21
Looks like switch to me. The only real way to know is wait for the seed head.
That pano pic looks like cereal rye left, switch right.
Don’t know what the flower is but I wouldn’t sweat it for n first year switch.

Looks like switch to me. The only real way to know is wait for the seed head.
That pano pic looks like cereal rye left, switch right.
Don’t know what the flower is but I wouldn’t sweat it for n first year switch.
Thanks, yes it was a cover crop put in last year by the farmer that I left in place after taking it out of production and converting it into a orchard/food plot going forward. Here is a closer up pic, not sure if that helps.

Attachments

• switch5.jpeg
    switch5.jpeg
    428.4 KB · Views: 21
Thanks, yes it was a cover crop put in last year by the farmer that I left in place after taking it out of production and converting it into a orchard/food plot going forward. Here is a closer up pic, not sure if that helps.
That is a switchgrass seed head. The second confirmation when zooming in to the photo is all the fine hairs where the leaf meets the stem.

That is a switchgrass seed head. The second confirmation when zooming in to the photo is all the fine hairs where the leaf meets the stem.
I feel like a proud papa;). Thanks for confirming!

Something else you will be happy about is switch will put on the most growth in July and August. You should be close to 4’ first year switch provided you get some moisture.