"Surprise" apple - or other fruit tree

Bowsnbucks

5 year old buck +
Of what all of you guys have planted ........ what's your best "good surprise" apple tree - or other fruit tree??

I'd say ours would be SLN's "Winter Wildlife" crab apple. Fast growth, early production. Maybe the other would be Wolf River on Antonovka roots. BIG tree.

Of what all of you guys have planted ........ what's your best "good surprise" apple tree - or other fruit tree??

I'd say ours would be SLN's "Winter Wildlife" crab apple. Fast growth, early production. Maybe the other would be Wolf River on Antonovka roots. BIG tree.
has that anty Wolf River produced yet? how old is it? Terry at WC gave me 2 antys last year that were huge trees (like 7' tall and thick at the trunk base)...just wondering how long to fruit as I have read these take a while usually

has that anty Wolf River produced yet? how old is it? Terry at WC gave me 2 antys last year that were huge trees (like 7' tall and thick at the trunk base)...just wondering how long to fruit as I have read these take a while usually
That tree was planted in Spring 2013. Bought from SLN. It's had an apple or two on it so far, but I don't expect a bigger amount of fruit for another couple years. I read somewhere, (not SLN catalog) that a Wolf River on Anty will produce bushels once it gets rolling. I read that some years ago - can't remember where. I took a chance, and planted 2 - 1 on Anty, the other on B-118.

Dolgo crabapple

It must be badass everywhere because i can get it to grow in east texas

bill

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but WolfRIver is a horrible fresh-eating apple. I've read it makes a good pie (what apple doesn't) but for off-the-tree eating, they are BAD. I have two WolfRivers, three dozen other varieties and they all taste better than WolfRiver.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but WolfRIver is a horrible fresh-eating apple. I've read it makes a good pie (what apple doesn't) but for off-the-tree eating, they are BAD. I have two WolfRivers, three dozen other varieties and they all taste better than WolfRiver.
Planted for the deer, Prof Kent!!! You aren't raining on my parade, since I was the one mentioning WR above. If we can get some pie apples from WR - that'll be a bonus. Taste-wise, Goldrush and Crimson Topaz are my favorites, along with Rosalea ( a new discovery for my wife and me this past fall. ) Rosalea is a "club apple."

I was hoping someone would surprise me with some winter wildlife scions.

I planted a wolf river on my brothers place 20 years ago don’t recall the rootstock dwarfing of some sort for sure. Very slow to mature if memory serves me and as Professor Kent has said not a spectacular eating apple I don’t bother with it for my wildlife plantings I feel there are other options more in line with my goals that’s are perhaps better choices.

I planted a wolf river on my brothers place 20 years ago don’t recall the rootstock dwarfing of some sort for sure. Very slow to mature if memory serves me and as Professor Kent has said not a spectacular eating apple I don’t bother with it for my wildlife plantings I feel there are other options more in line with my goals that’s are perhaps better choices.
Agreed. Wolf River was just a variety that was recommended for wildlife and making pies, so I planted 2 at camp. Other apples are much better eaters, and are more sized for deer to eat. WR apples get BIG.
WR surprised me in how it grew.

Agreed. Wolf River was just a variety that was recommended for wildlife and making pies, so I planted 2 at camp. Other apples are much better eaters, and are more sized for deer to eat. WR apples get BIG.
WR surprised me in how it grew.
in what way did it surprise you Bows? this had been noted on some online sources as a slow growing, slower to produce tree. I have a small one planted in my orchard plot that is VERY slow growing

I think his is a rockstar in the growth department for a WR

in what way did it surprise you Bows? this had been noted on some online sources as a slow growing, slower to produce tree. I have a small one planted in my orchard plot that is VERY slow growing
It surprised me with how big it grew in a few years. It's on Anty, but maybe it's just planted in the right spot?? It gets early morning sun (warms quickly from frosts?), and then gets sun most of the rest of the day. Normally Anty-rooted trees are slow starters, and this was no speedster in the first 3 years. But once it got its roots established, it took off. Another variety that grew good wood fairly soon is N.Y. 35 "Bonkers." Our "Bonkers" is also on Anty, FWIW.

That tree was planted in Spring 2013. Bought from SLN. It's had an apple or two on it so far, but I don't expect a bigger amount of fruit for another couple years. I read somewhere, (not SLN catalog) that a Wolf River on Anty will produce bushels once it gets rolling. I read that some years ago - can't remember where. I took a chance, and planted 2 - 1 on Anty, the other on B-118.
I’ve got a bunch of Wolf River on B118 stock that are now 10 years old. Averaging 1 apple every couple years. i fully expected them to have more production at this point. They are however very large and good looking trees.