Supplemental Feeding Question

Workable idea for corn especially in drier environments but I don't like it for pellets unless they all get consumed overnight. Spoilage, non target predation and simply not getting enough feed out to make a difference are the first things that come to mind. I want a feeder that keeps the pellets dry and allows easy feeding for as much as wanted.
Plus a daily intrusion. But, as with a feeder on a timer certain deer will condition to it and gain from it. Probably would be a very inefficient way to try to feed the whole herd.

With cattle the herd and consumption are known quantities, none goes goes to waste.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

About how many pounds of protein pellets are you going through in a year?
We average 2-4 tons a month from January thru August. I have a feeder on the farm for every 60 acres with the point being to ensure every deer has access to feed and not shunned from a feeder by pecking order. Consumption is highest June thru August. We are filling feeders on farm for first time this year tomorrow. I'll use 16% protein with a higher fat % until late April/early May when I increase protein % to 18-20% along with more fiber. Sometimes late winter if weather is really cold I'll mix in maybe 50/50 corn as energy during cold weather is so important .

I don't need to worry about water in La. as its everywhere but in drier climates water distribution is critical. I've distributed water approximately every 200 acres at the ranch running countless miles of pac with water troughs every kilometer.

I’m pretty sure I could get by with a single feeder two at most.

You guys that are running gravity feeders what brand is you favorite feeder? keeps pellets dry, least overspill onto ground, least raccoon issues? We have a dealer for these in my local community and they do look like a good design but I have no experience with them. Worth a try?

The Double D feeders are also good if you have hogs. https://wildernesscalls.com/double--d--gravity-deer-feeder