All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sunflowers in a fall plot?

HuntingEd

Yearling... With promise
After the first year where they seeded out, our deer never let the sunflowers get above 5" now. I'm thinking of mixing them into our fall plantings to act as an early draw for archery season.

Anyone done this with any success or noticable difference? Or is it a waste of seed?

Somone else on here mentioned it earlier this year and got me to thinking, I added them to my LC cereal grain mix this fall so time will tell. I planted them in a sorghum mix this summer and they were hammered and very few made it just like you said 4-6".

I added a bag into my mix last fall, and I never saw one get above 3". This spring I put a bag into a spring cover crop mix, and they were in there all spring mowing the stuff down until I disced them under. I will be adding a bag to my fall mix again this weekend. For the $12 per bag, it is candy, it keeps them coming back, and interested in the spot. It will never get mature in the fall, even if you fence it off, but that was never my goal.

At about $10-$15 for a 40lb bag(Rural King is $13), it sure wouldn't hurt to try some. It will definitely get the deer coming to your plots and when they are gone, your other stuff should be far enough along to keep providing the fall food.

"4" beat me to it, what he said ^^^^

Here's a pic of my cereal grains this A.M.

I planted a few gallons worth of seed (collected from ones we grew at our house) in a clover/rye/radish plot just for kicks one year and the deer ate the crap out of them.......they grow fast and deer seem to notice them. I would add them for a quick food draw.

thanks for the replies. Sounds like it's definitely worth the seed. We have about 25-30 lbs left from our spring planting. I'm going to put them in some of our prime archery spots as an early draw while the grains/clovers get established.

Planted some with rye, wheat, and oats a couple of weeks ago. They are about 2 to 3" high now and so far no browsing. For the price of them you cant go wrong.

Sunflowers = Deer Candy

I broadcast 25 lbs in a 1/4 acre spot on saturday in the rain. I had planted the spot a few weeks ago and it just didnt take like I planned. A 50 of winter rye and 25 of sunflower should make it look much better asap. Only things I could really broadcast over the top with any results at this point.

We will be planting our fall/winter grain mix in the next week or so and you guys have me very curious with this planting. I think I'll get a bag and experiment by mixing them with my WR/oats/clover mix. Any particular variety or buying source?? Will the black oil sunflower seed from Wally World or Lowes work??

We will be planting our fall/winter grain mix in the next week or so and you guys have me very curious with this planting. I think I'll get a bag and experiment by mixing them with my WR/oats/clover mix. Any particular variety or buying source?? Will the black oil sunflower seed from Wally World or Lowes work??

Go cheap. They wont last into the cold weather.

I paid $9 for a 25 lb bag of black oil. Nothing fancy

I checked on my sunflower seeds today and did not notice any germinated. The winter rye I spread the same day is all fuzzy and just starting to crack open. Im sure by the weekend it will all have germinated. Could use another 1/4 inch rain. Nothing on the radar until monday.

That's what I did, got mine from Farm&Home

I tried some leftover seed last fall on a muddy section of road early september. Straight sunflower seed from tractor supply that i feed my chickens. Put a trail cam on it. Deer started using that section of road to cross even after they ate them to the ground. It is a very quick draw, so if its a kill plot I would be ready to watch it within the week.