Sunflower cash crop?

Barndog56

5 year old buck +
Just wondering if anyone with farmland is switching to sunflowers? I noticed a couple farms in my driving area had switched some acres last year. Then I've seen this quote which leads me to believe sunflower prices will continue to climb.

"According to the Brookings Institution, in 2020, 52% of globally traded sunflower seed and oil came from Ukraine."

In my part of Kansas maybe 10 years ago several farmers planted.Issue was only certain elevators would take the seed so it had to be trucked 30 miles instead of just to town.What we do see alot of is peolple planting 5 acres of sunflowers and charging people by the carload to take pictures

Might be a good option for those with an adventurous side. I've known guys who tried but the fire risk was more stress than they cared for. Cleaning the combine multiple times a day, cutting at night, keeping extinguishers and water on hand at all times. One friend lost a combine hours after shutting down when it burst into flames back at the shop.

Why are sunflowers so much more likely to cause a fire?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why are sunflowers so much more likely to cause a fire?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See fields occasionally around here. Think mostly used for birdseed. There is a big Kaytee plant in Chilton, WI. There was a good sized field of sunflowers on neighbors next to a friend two yrs ago but back to corn again this yr.

Sunflowers and wheat will probably go way up. My guess is any oil crops will go up in value next year due to the lack of sunflower oil on the market. Grain prices overall will probably go way up, while the main importers of Ukrainian wheat could see literal famine.

Pork prices could jump as well if China gets another round of African swine flu, as was suggested a couple months ago.