Summer mix options

Ncwoodsman

A good 3 year old buck
Was trying to figure out a mix for one of my plots that I'm going to put in summer food this year. The plot is about 1.25 acres and is in a moderate to hight deer density area, but with really good native habitat growth around I was thinking I could get away with a plot this size. I was thinking of planting some type of aggressive forage type soybean at about 75lbs per acre with 25 pounds of deer vetch per acre and add in a undecided amount of grain sorghum. My plan is to let the soybeans take the main beating while the deer vetch gets established later in the summer and then hoping the grain sorghum helps add some structure for the plot and maybe help it not get demolished. That are your thoughts and recommendations?

Sounds fine. I think most people don't add soybeans to blends. But if you have other goals than just feeding deer, why not add the other crops to achieve your objectives?

Sounds a lot like Green Cover seeds summer release blend. Throw in some hemp and a bit of buckwheat and you are there. I have never tried it but I am going to give it a shot this year, it makes sense to me.

Was trying to figure out a mix for one of my plots that I'm going to put in summer food this year. The plot is about 1.25 acres and is in a moderate to hight deer density area, but with really good native habitat growth around I was thinking I could get away with a plot this size. I was thinking of planting some type of aggressive forage type soybean at about 75lbs per acre with 25 pounds of deer vetch per acre and add in an undecided amount of grain sorghum. My plan is to let the soybeans take the main beating while the deer vetch gets established later in the summer and then hoping the grain sorghum helps add some structure for the plot and maybe help it not get demolished. That are your thoughts and recommendations?
I’ll tell you, soybeans and deer vetch can be finicky. If I was you, I would start with green cover summer browse release. Get some success under your belt, improve the soil, then try beans and aeschynomene later.

I plant a few other large plots 5acr plus in eagle beans every year and do great. They get pretty heavily browsed but usually always produce beans. I will be planting them all with a no till drill also