Successful Hunts, My Way!

What kind of camera do you have mounted on your bow?

What kind of camera do you have mounted on your bow?
Deleted on request

Last edited by a moderator:
I must agree. Many times putting yourself in the right spot at the right time to make a kill is more gratifying than the actual kill, if you decide to harvest one.

On Nov of last year, I did not let the arrow fly, but consider fooling this buck I let go a successful hunt! He walked right next to my stand on the way in, walked back by at 15 yards on the way out. If he grows some length on the brows this year, and I have the chance, he will be on my wall! I sure do have fun video taping these deer. Maybe some of you guys do as well. I don't have to kill all the time to be a hunter!

Very well said!

Looking forward to the new videos this season!

I have a little Sony something. It's small and I got one of those stabilizer mount deals last time you recommended it.

When I shot my bow with it, it was heavy and my arrow always hit low. Guess I should practise with it more.

I posted this last fall. The next time I hunted this stand those two big limbs covering the kill zone weren't there anymore. :)

Deleted on request

I played with mounting cameras on a bow stabilizer years ago. I didn't like it at all. First, it is awkward when practicing and such and I always practice with the same accoutrements as I hunt so adding it to hunt was not an option for me. More importantly, there was enough vibration from the bow to make the video way to jittery for my taste. Also, trying to hold my bow still when dot at full draw was problematic.

What seemed to work best for me was to use a tree mount bracket. Making a video while hunting by oneself is very challenging. I found it difficult to focus on making sure I do the thousand little things right to get a quick clean kill when distracted by the camera. I ended up pointing the camera at my most likely kill spot and zooming to the level I want. Maybe I'm going deaf, but I often have deer appear at close range suddenly. So, in case this happens all I had to do was click start on the camera remote. I could then focus completely on the hunt. Either the deer cooperates and explores the scent ball and I get a harvest video or it doesn't and I get no video. When I do see a deer coming from a distance, I then use the camera to pan and zoom as needed to get his entry. When he gets near bow range, I again focus the camera on the most likely kill spot, zoom in, forget the camera and focus on the shot.

One more trick I learned was to use 2 cameras. One is used as I describe above and the other is from a different angle (usually above me) and zoomed out for the widest view possible. I can then edit the video and cut between the cameras. The wide angle camera gives me things like the run after the shot.

It has been years since I've tried to self-video a hunt. I'm sure technology has improved since then.

Thanks,

Jack

I have a little Sony something. It's small and I got one of those stabilizer mount deals last time you recommended it.

When I shot my bow with it, it was heavy and my arrow always hit low. Guess I should practise with it more.

I posted this last fall. The next time I hunted this stand those two big limbs covering the kill zone weren't there anymore. :)

Deleted on request

Deleted on request

Looks like he was ready to rumble!

I cannot even imagine hunting a place where bucks like that actually walk around in the open woods in daylight. It seldom happens down here in the pine woods.

I cannot even imagine hunting a place where bucks like that actually walk around in the open woods in daylight. It seldom happens down here in the pine woods.

Deleted on request

If your in W MI though mo, you create that habitat and the spikes will come running, lol.

If your in W MI though mo, you create that habitat and the spikes will come running, lol.

Badger I don't know how far you are from Cass county MI.? When I hunted there saw a couple bucks that would be 190-200 class easy. You might want to check it out.

I don't know how far you are from Cass county MI.? When I hunted there saw a couple bucks that would be 190-200 class easy. You might want to check it out.

Cass is 6 counties South of me. I won't lose sleep over antler size but we don't generally throw b/C sizes around that loosely. If someone sees a booner here its probably 120 PY.

Nice! Especially at the 30 sec mark, slightly quartering away and looking away.:)

Nice! Especially at the 30 sec mark, slightly quartering away and looking away.:)

Deleted on request

Attachments

• 180-1.PNG
    180-1.PNG
    2 MB · Views: 292