Strutting tom

Cool

Saw a frat boy team last week driving into work. One hen and 7 or 8 faned out toms all around her...........

I don't turkey hunt but I like watching them. We have seen a slow increase in their numbers in my area over the past several years. My son hunts them on occasion, but I have enough bad habits and we tend to be busy as it is in the spring time.... so at least for now they are safe. I heard some quail whistles as well the other day and bumped a woodcock as well. I like a variety of different critters.... Most of them are not in high enough numbers to warrant hunting them however, so I don't, but like to see them using the farm. Now there are some critters that are NOT invited....skunks, yotes, coons and ground hogs tend to top that list. The only way I like them...is for target practice!

So that's what they look like! Haven't had a long beard in range since last fall!

Now there are some critters that are NOT invited....skunks, yotes, coons and ground hogs tend to top that list. The only way I like them...is for target practice!

Groundhog is actually excellent table fare. Biologically it's just a big squirrel.

Groundhog is actually excellent table fare. Biologically it's just a big squirrel.
I have actually had ground hog before.....

Did you like it?

I have actually had ground hog before.....
An old timer at the local town fish and game club had one as pet. He'd bring him to the monthly meeting. This was years ago.

At my camp in the adirondacks, the DEC released some turkeys 7 years ago. They're taking off well. I see them every time Im up there now. I dont turkey hunt, but they're in huntable numbers now. I plant oats for the other guys so they can hunt them in the spring. Rather be fishing in the spring.

Did you like it?
I was a kid and it was "fine". It was slow cooked like pulled pork....I couldn't tell the difference one way or the other...

I was a kid and it was "fine". It was slow cooked like pulled pork....I couldn't tell the difference one way or the other...
I was told that I ate it as a kid too. My dad said the young ones are very good.