Story of my deer hunting life...last 5 years anyway...

wiscwhip

5 year old buck +
Checked my old licenses............2010 was the last time I harvested a buck.............:mad::(

I've never heard/seen that before. Freaking hilarious. I think we all (ok maybe only some of us) can relate.

Checked my old licenses............2010 was the last time I harvested a buck.............:mad::(

My last buck was 2004 and we had one lined up this year and as usual my neighbor shot him 12 points 19" inside spread

I am embarrassed that I have tried a lot of that stuff.

Move over ........... you have company. If we don't have rough outings, we miss out on the laughs !!

love it, thanks for sharing

Posted this "update" on another forum and figured I would share it here as well...............

I just wanted to post a little story of my deer hunting endeavors for this past 9 day gun season. No harvests or shots fired from myself or my young apprentice. I told him getting a buck on the first morning he ever stepped into the deer woods would spoil him, now he is seeing what I meant after 2 years with no harvest.....lol! I only saw one deer in the woods and it was just a flash of brown then white and gone, no doe tag for that area(even if I had one, I most likely would not have used it anyway), so a positive ID was needed before pulling up and just flinging lead downrange. I'm sure everyone has seen the Big Bad paw print I posted earlier, which tells the story of how most of my season went.

All that aside, I had a great time in the woods on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. I decided to head to a place where I had a legal antlerless tag and that actually had a decent enough population that I wouldn't have felt bad about harvesting a doe, and no wolves(yet). It was an area I hadn't hunted in over 33 years after I did the math...
icon_eek.gif
icon_lol.gif
A little county park(to which the State has since purchased a huge abutting acreage, almost doubling the size from what I remember) in the bluffs south of Mauston, which guys from the area know as Bass Hollow. I didn't see a deer that day, but the view of the creek bottom 70' below the rock outcropping I was sitting on was spectacular. If a deer was in the area, it was sure to walk through there. Great sunrise, really cool setting, and the potential to actually see a harvestable deer made for a great sit. Walking by the old, abandoned, moss covered, homestead foundation was a reminder that someone else saw the beauty of this place long before I ever stepped foot there. I wasn't even the least bit upset when 6 guys came marching down into the valley to set up a drive, at least they went the opposite direction. Didn't even bum me out when a guy came right down to my spot with 2 youngsters and asked if I minded if they followed the trail into the bottom. I just smiled and said, "No, nothing was moving anyway and maybe they would kick up something past me if they went down into the bottoms." I wished them luck and he told me he had been sitting near where I was the day before and had seen 3 walking on the far side of the valley but could not make them out or get a shot through the trees. The sound of the water in the creek below was therapeutic, as I sat there not giving a crap about whether I saw a deer or not. That my good friends is what will keep me going back to the woods each fall, deer or no deer to put on the table.

Kind of wishy-washy ramblings coming from me, but I'll be damned if I let the shortcomings of our DNR darken my days in the outdoors, which have become all to few for me in recent years.

Now that I think about it 2010 was the last time I harvested a buck as well. Geez, 6 years....I really need to just take one with my bow to knock the carbon off the valves. I passed up 6 good shots on smaller bucks this year with my bow. I guess I can't get mature bucks by taking the young guys out. If I did that I'd have to quit for the season and I really enjoy sitting in a stand just watching deer carry on about their daily lives. I've learned a lot and seen some pretty interesting things by just watching without the urgency to get a shot off.

ds, at some point, you have to ask yourself if you can realistically achieve growing a truly mature whitetail buck on your land. Do you own/control enough acres to make your efforts worthwhile? Is your soil/habitat conducive to produce large, mature whitetail bucks. Do you have "bad" neighbors? In most of Juneau Co a 2.5 yo 125" buck is a damn nice deer and not to be scoffed at. Maybe you will only ever see bucks the size you are passing on during most years, in that case, taking one every few years will not really change the bigger picture, as they will get hammered once they leave your place anyway. I don't look at that as an excuse to shoot every basket 8 that walks under the tree, but if you want to take a deer, you really aren't going to change the long term buck production by taking one every third or fourth year. But, I do see your point totally about once you harvest a buck, you aren't nearly as apt to sit in the woods with only an antlerless tag in your pocket, but that isn't saying you couldn't.............?

Whip - I thought about that plenty. Realistically, I agree with you about having mature deer to hunt every year. I've hunted the area off and on over the last 30 years and already know I'm probably fighting an up hill battle in terms of what the environment has to offer for growing deer. My 40 is part of about a 700 acre block of private with almost no roads in it. Most of the other hunters are passing smaller\younger bucks but not all of them. There is potential though. One buck was harvested that scored very high Juneau county all time. A needle in a hay stack maybe but that deer is not the only quality buck around.
Totally understand what you are saying about impact. I'm not a 180 or bust hunter but if I take this deer then I am done and he will never get any older. That's the part I struggle with the most. No complaints, just how it is.

I guess I was being a bit nostalgic and maybe a bit overly "enthusiastic" with my 125" 2.5 yo statement, but back in the days when baiting was legal in JC, believe it or not, it was not unheard of to see bucks that size and age in all areas of the county. They were well fed, did not have the stress of wolves, and the rut stress was less due to the overabundance of does, everyone had a girlfriend and was fat and happy!

I dont think I have taken a buck since 2009 either(last buck was the year it was really foggy opening morning). I have shot a few does during those years and have past on some small 1 year bucks.

Whip - I thought about that plenty. Realistically, I agree with you about having mature deer to hunt every year. I've hunted the area off and on over the last 30 years and already know I'm probably fighting an up hill battle in terms of what the environment has to offer for growing deer. My 40 is part of about a 700 acre block of private with almost no roads in it. Most of the other hunters are passing smaller\younger bucks but not all of them. There is potential though. One buck was harvested that scored very high Juneau county all time. A needle in a hay stack maybe but that deer is not the only quality buck around.
Totally understand what you are saying about impact. I'm not a 180 or bust hunter but if I take this deer then I am done and he will never get any older. That's the part I struggle with the most. No complaints, just how it is.
It sounds like in your current situation that you DO have the ability to at least somewhat protect and grow mature bucks. In that case it makes those decisions much harder. We directly abutted 600 acres of county forest to the north(with a few thousand more north and west of that) and had shitty neighbors on the 2 of the other 3 sides. No point in letting a buck walk in our area if you really wanted one for the freezer, especially given the current low overall deer numbers and the low levels of antlerless tags they are giving out. In that case, I would rather shoot a youngish buck than to remove a breeder doe from the landscape.

My $.02
I have hunted and run multiple trail cameras nearly 24/7/365 for many years now in the area. I've come to this conclusion in recent years. Besides fawns, the most populated class of deer is yearling bucks. We have more of them than we do adult doe and of course we have more of them than we do mature bucks. I have no concern at all harvesting a yearling buck. I'd much rather do that than take an adult doe that will likely drop two more fawns next spring. Of course I'd rather get a mature buck but if I passed all the yearlings (which is only a handful of chances each season, if that) I'd be going many many years without harvesting a buck while waiting for a mature one. That being said I try not to take the first opportunity to harvest a yearling buck but as the season wears on I become more likely to do so. This unfortunately is not the area to hunt mature bucks or bust.

That's the hope anyway. This year the one we were all after was taken with bow the Tuesday before rifle opener almost 2 miles to the east. He was a travelling man. That's how it goes.
Bueller - it sure isn't the mecca for big deer every year like some other locations in the state no doubt. It seems to be about the same as it was when I first hunted here back in the late 70's in fact. Lots of spikes and basket racks albeit not as many as there was then. I don't know if that's a factor of the poor soil or harvest. Probably some of both I suppose.

Poor soil without a doubt factors in. But IMO the major limiting factor is us, the hunters. 95% of those hunting the area will shoot a yearling buck if given the chance. That's why we can go 5 years without shooting anything and yet still have a 0% increase of mature bucks using our small properties. Back when we had to register deer in person I would have conversations with the biologist working the check in station. She would tell me that at least 2/3rds of the bucks being registered there were yearlings. Honestly I feel APR's would be the only way the area as a whole will ever change and man I hope that day never comes. Much better chances of the herd increasing with yearling bucks being killed vs fawn dropping does.

Every year we have a couple good bucks that we chase. If I lived there I believe I could at least have an opportunity to harvest one each year. Opportunity doesn't mean I'd actually succeed though. However with a limited number of days to hunt each year and most of them being weekend days with no regard to weather patterns the opportunity just isn't there each and every year.

I'm not a huge fan of APR either. With my old eyes I have a hard enough time, lol. Hunters should have the opportunity to legally harvest whatever they choose. Showing a little constraint sure wouldn't hurt.
In my home area of Columbia county a majority of the land is private and watched over by a lot of serious deer hunters. Lots of bucks being passed on and quite a few big deer shot every year. Some on a fairly consistent basis. Not an apples to apples comparison but letting bucks mature sure makes a difference. It's amazing what one more year can do.

Last edited:
This same question applies in many places. If any of us want to see / shoot a large, mature buck, is it wise to shoot the first basket 6 or 8 pt. we see ?? If we all did that, it only stands to reason none will get enough age to reach full potential. And I believe we all endure the " if I don't shoot it, the neighbor will " scenario. That defines Pa. deer hunting. Having bad neighbors makes the decision harder.

In my camp, there are a good number of guys who have no problem dropping does legally whenever they get a chance. But post-season, and in spring, the boo-hooing starts about not seeing deer in the plots. No fawns. Numbers keep getting lower. Well ........ what's the answer ?? And it's the same all over. For several years we had agreements with local neighboring camps to lay off does to let the herd recover, and it worked. But now we're back to " rack 'em up " mode. Every man for himself. And the complaints are back - " where the H are the deer ? " It seems we never learn from the past ........ and so must repeat it. If we shoot as many does as we can fill " legal " tags, how good can we expect it to be ?? ( point being, states sell way more tags than they used to for many years = revenue $$ ) As Dsinwi said above, " a little constraint sure wouldn't hurt. " ^^^^^

I've had no problem passing several basket racks the last 2 archery & gun seasons, and I haven't shot a doe the last 2 years and won't this year. But because of the restraints of some of us at my camp and 2 neighboring camps, we have pix of bigger bucks on cams the last 2 years. It's no guarantee of getting one, but it sure beats seeing NONE and knowing there isn't even a chance. Knowing there are some 125" to 140" racks around gets me in the woods & up a tree quick. In my area, that's a 3.5 yr. old & older. It's a choice we all have to make.

It certainly is a choice we all can make BB. I guess you summed up the point I was struggling to make. It is a choice though so harvest whatever makes you happy. It's not easy, be proud of it.
There were very few deer taken in my immediate area this year that I know of. With the mild weather we've had so far I am very optimistic again for next season.

Yep - I won't be-little a guy who wants to shoot a deer. In some areas, a basket rack is a trophy, and there's no shame in that.
What I never can understand is the thought process of guys who shoot any & all deer ....... and then complain about not seeing any/many deer following that season. A few years ago, we had guys in my camp who shot 5 or 6 deer ( with all legal tags - Dmap included ) and were yapping about the lack of deer " we " see around here anymore !!! ( For those of you with huge deer numbers, - in Pa., shooting 5 or 6 deer is like drilling a big hole in your boat & wondering why it's sinking. ) And they wanted to keep hunting !!!!!!! :eek: o_O How many deer can one family of 3 eat in a year ??? That's just greed.

I'll relate one more such story from Pa. I had an uncle and 2 cousins that hunted with a farm family in northern Pa. for deer. That farm and 2 other neighboring farms would work together to get deer moving by driving deer from one farm to the next. The one year, they shot 12 bucks off the first drive, and 5 more later in the day. The first day. I don't remember how many bucks they shot the rest of the season. Then in doe season, ( which was a separate season back then ), they pounded the does for the 2-day season that year. They shot a load of does - don't remember the number. - - - The next year, they were shocked that they saw only a few deer, hardly any tracks. After that disastrous season, they decided to NOT shoot does for 3 years to get the herd back up. All 3 farms made that choice. And after those 3 years of laying off the does, the herd still wasn't back to where it had been, although it HAD improved. *** That pretty much illustrates the situation. You hammer - you suffer.

As Dsinwi said earlier, " a little restraint wouldn't hurt ". If anyone's numbers are low, wouldn't it make sense to let a doe ( 3 deer in spring ) walk ? Again........ it's a choice.