Storing leftover soybean seeds

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
Has anyone had success storing untreated soybean seed until next planting season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do it all the time never have a problem. 5 gal buckets with lids or sometimes I buy untreated and keep in the bag.

Just don't let them freeze.

I have always just stored unused seed back in its original bag and stored it in my insulated barn. Still, germination rates of older soybean seed diminishes rapidly - more so than any other seed IMO. I typically purchase my soybean seed on the Conservation Seed Program from either NWTF or NDA so it is already a year old when I get it. If I don't use it all that year I absolutely want to use it all by the following year, and even then I would expect reduced germination rates.

It's a crap shoot with soybean seeds. They dry out quickly. Keep them in a cool semi-humid environment. I don't know what the standard procedure is today, but back in the day, unsold, untreated soybean seed went to the feed mill.

Like Dan said, they lose viability quickly like most oil seeds. Make sure and do a germ test before you drill them and adjust your rate accordingly.