Storage inside the storage container

tooln

5 year old buck +
A guy at work was looking to get rid of some old kitchen cabinets. Not the best of shape but good enough for my use. I mounted them inside my shipping container today.

Nice! Nothing quite like free, especially when it serves it's purpose.

Most I know I including myself have old kitchen cabinets hung in our garages :D

Most I know I including myself have old kitchen cabinets hung in our garages :D
My garage already was fully equipped with them. That's why the container got them.

Last edited:
I hadn't thought about using chain to hang stuff from the top. I think that might be a great solution to my upcoming shelving build. Keep it mobile, but sturdy, and no holes in the tin. :)

I hadn't thought about using chain to hang stuff from the top. I think that might be a great solution to my upcoming shelving build. Keep it mobile, but sturdy, and no holes in the tin. :)
The 2 longest chains you see I hook to the grab hooks I put on the bucket. I put the ATV in first and have the loader over the ATV. They are there just in case the loader starts to drop.

I back my machine in, and the 3pt is raised to keep it above a bunch of stuff I have on the floor in the very back. I've been planning on building some shelves to put things above the 3pt and keep it lowered when backing in. I may do that on my next trip.

Since my container isn't level, it's hard to make good shelving inside it. But I could count links and just hang stuff with some lags in the chain where I wanted them for the time being. I have a spool of chain I was going to use for life lines, but I've been using the seatbelt straps instead.

I just leveled my container this past week. I didn't get it perfect but faily close. I had all I could do lifting it with a hi-lift jack and the loader. The jack is rated at just under 5k lifting capacity. Those things are built solid. Can't just pick up one corner as there is no flex, it's either the whole end or side.

I didn't try to level mine too hard where it sits. I got it good enough, then the blocking sank and it's off. :( When it's relocated to it's next temporary spot I'll do a better job.

Nice job tool. I awill be getting over to the Rapids soon to look at some. got to waint till my blue clay drys out.

I cut out 4 of the tie down loops on the floor and built these shelves captive in the corrugations.

The intent was to be able to back my 3pt under the bottom shelf, but I didn't get a good number measuring out in the parking pad, so my shelf is 1/2" too low. :(

It's easy enough to fix. There's only 8 screws holding the shelf up. I'll scab in the scraps before removing the screws, then shim it into position before rescrewing it to the legs.

20150501_194354.jpg

Been there done that with bad measurements. Life goes on. That's one reason I like metal work more then wood. You can always weld the metal back up for a bad cut/measurement and start over.

It's why I build shelves like this with screws that don't pierce the container. Had I bolted this in the tin wrong, I'd be pissed (at myself).

Easy to fix, just annoying after I was all happy with how it turned out.

My container is starting to look like a porcupine with all the screws sticking out of it. They make nice coat hangers.

And my wife thought I was nuts for taking the oak cabinets out of the old place before we demoed it - they are in my garage right now. I figured why not. She called it "redneck as #$%^" My grandfather and its now my fathers - used a old semi truck trailer as a storage building and they had a shelf in the front of it similar to Timber's. They also lined the walls with various methods of hanging tools, fishing poles and the like as well. I figure - what ever works!
cabinets.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing redneck about any of that, it is called repurposing.:D Ask your wife if she would have rather you spent some of the money for the house remodel to outfit the garage with storage cabinets,:eek: I bet she won't think it was too redneck then.;)

I got the 3' 2x4's out of the garbage can next to the radial arm saw because some guy wanted treated after they were cut. 70% off $4 and I was looking for 2'ers.

I left them long so I can hang stuff off them in the corners. Next trip into town I'm getting a U hook for the brush cutter. It's just hooked on the gas tank bracket now.