Steel Targets?

Catscratch

5 year old buck +
I'm looking at getting a couple of steel targets. I usually just shoot stuff, but would like a couple to make semi permanent.

Been looking at Amazon. Are there better places to shop?

Intrigued by the reactive ones (smaller round plate that spins to the other side of the target when hit). Do those keep working or do they stop spinning around after a while?

Are simple round gongs better than the body shaped one's?

Mostly shoot .22, .223, and .308 at ranges 100yds and greater.

All input welcome!

I'm looking at getting a couple of steel targets. I usually just shoot stuff, but would like a couple to make semi permanent.

Been looking at Amazon. Are there better places to shop?

Intrigued by the reactive ones (smaller round plate that spins to the other side of the target when hit). Do those keep working or do they stop spinning around after a while?

Are simple round gongs better than the body shaped one's?

Mostly shoot .22, .223, and .308 at ranges 100yds and greater.

All input welcome!
The reactive targets for 22 LR work fine and mine is over 10 years old. I repaint mine each year and it is serving me well. 1712081469467.png
For larger calibers I use 1/2" Steel targets. The one I have has held up to 308 and 30/06 lead (not steel) bullets just fine. I like the round ones with the two "ears" for hanging. I like the 6" ones, and painted mine white for ease of spotting.
1712081569964.png

I like to shoot a 50 yard steel target with 38 special or 357 lever guns and revolvers. I have a 8" round plate with ears like shown above for those targets. Also have a similar target at 100 yards as well as a 16" round gong target. Good for sight in and casual shooting. I hang all mine from chains. Also have a steel target at 25 yards for pistol and another at 200 yards for rifle confirms. All my steel targets withstand the hunting ammo I have used on them with no effects. I shopped around on the web and bought most of them as 3/8" AR 500 steel (IIRC). I did find my larger "gong" at a local welding shop whom has some targets from time to time. I paint mine white. I used round head bolts to attach to the chains. They have held up well....as have the chains. About the most powerful cartridge we use is a 308 win.

This is what I was leaning towards. It would give 2 things to shoot at for the same target. Aim yellow for a ding on a less accurate gun, aim orange for a better shooting gun.
Screenshot_20240403_122620_Gallery.jpg

Been few years since I ordered, but ebay was better for it. AR500 steel is good. soft point hunting ammo is not too rough on the targets. That xm193 223 ammo zings through targets. Steel core 7.62x39 is tough on them too. Targets that are cut cold are better that hot cut ones. 1/2" for the .223 to live a decent life. 3/8's is ok for the 308. 22's anything is good. Those self healing targets arent too bad either.

Paint doesn't hod up well. Expect to recoat them often. Sometimes each session. Orange does better than white. IF you use wood to hold up the targets, use thick stuff. The wood doesn't live all that long with the lead splatter blasting into it.

^ Yep....important on what is used to cut the targets. I think the preferred thing is water jet cutting so as to not soften the edges. I don't remember for certain.....but I think I bought mine that way. In any event we have no cratering and no bad edges after lots of shooting. I kinda remember doing some research.......and I may have bought AR550 ? I think that was better stuff. Been a while.