State Fish and Wildlife Agencies

BenAllgood

5 year old buck +
I know state wildlife agencies get a bad wrap sometimes, but I wanted to put a plug in for one state in particular. Specifically, I'd like to put in a plug for this state's private lands biologists. Kentucky has really impressed me. The way they manage their deer herd is a big part of why I bought land in the state. But, I've really been impressed with their private lands biologist in my area, Chris Mason. I realize helping private landowners is their job, but Chris has gone above and beyond in my opinion. He walked a lot of my property with me, pointing out plants that I wasn't familiar with. He helped liaison with the appropriate people and programs that would help achieve my goals. One of the biggest helps was deciding on what to do with my hay fields to transition them to something more wildlife friendly. He pointed out some government programs, but didn't stop there. I was really concerned with having food and cover there. I wanted to do a pollinator planting, but was concerned about the cover aspect. On his own, he went to several properties that had different types of plantings done, including some pollinator plantings. He brought a 3D deer target to those fields and took photos of how it looked at the end of winter in each scenario. I really couldn't believe the effort he went to. Some may say he just did his job, but I believe he went well beyond that. State agencies do get a bad wrap sometimes, but I've really been impressed with Kentucky and Chris Mason in particular.

Kentucky also has a lot of information available to private landowners. Some of those publications are available here: https://fw.ky.gov/Wildlife/Pages/Habitat-How-To's.aspx

I've been very impressed with Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries! They have been ahead of the curve on CWD and they have very detailed Deer and Turkey management plans that have a sound biological basis. They do a great job of matching regulations to maximize hunting opportunity while achieving the objectives of the management plans. The do a good job of soliciting and considering input from the public on all of their plans and regulations. They provide great support for private land owners across the state and I use their free services regularly.

Thanks,

Jack

I have also been pleased with the support and experiences I have had with my state biologists working with me on a WRP and CRP project. They have been extremely helpful in every aspect from initial planning to just adding different things to help benefit wildlife. In the beginning I worked with a few now five years later I get a call and walk the property once or twice a year with them. If I ever have any questions I have the biologists cell # and email and can get answers pretty fast. My local CO is really good to visit and talk with also.

The only gripe I have with Ohio’s DNR is that they do not charge enough for NR licenses, especially for deer hunting. And I would like to see them start regulating and licensing deer outfitters and guides better because they don’t do anything with them now and should.

It is nice to hear of State Wildlife guys that really go above and beyond to help their constituents. It’s equally nice to hear their efforts are not take for granted!

My experience is with the NY State Forester for my region, and like all of you, he was a knowledgeable and extremely helpful. Great thread Ben.