Stand insurance

4wanderingeyes

5 year old buck +
I haven’t ever thought about this before, I drove by a deer stand that was about 8x20, with log cabin siding, tin roofline, regular windows and doors, and it had a deck on it, and I thought, do people insure their deer stands? I am sure this one had to be easily $10,000.

I have wondered about mine before that wind would blow it down, or a tree fall on it. But I only have about $1500 in mine.

Nope - But other than 1 Redneck blind, I don't have any more than $600 or so invested in any of the others (11 total), although I know it would cost more to build them today. Probably something to think about for those of you who have fancy penthouses to hunt from :emoji_sunglasses:

I'm building a two level building (8x8, 16 tall). When talking to the insurance agent, it is just a storage shed. The first level is storage, and the second level will have several windows which is a bit odd for a storage shed. Eventually I'll have several of these "storage sheds". The agent wants to know the exist, but I don't think it affects the rate. Its just farm land with farn buildings as far as they're concerned.

This was an interesting question. I looked at our Farm Bureau policy and "outbuildings" are covered if disclosed. I've added two outbuildings to our policy last year (no premium change) and will make sure I add the two permanent stands as well. Generally any damage would be less than our deductible, but it is good to know there was coverage if a stand blew down and damaged a neighbors car or property (unlikely, but plausible after this morning's storm).

Barns, Outbuildings and Other Farm Structures
  • Farm buildings/structures/poultry houses—including attached sheds and permanent fixtures
  • Silos/grain bins
  • Portable buildings and portable structures
  • Fences (other than field and pasture fences), corrals, pens and feed racks
  • Outdoor radio and TV equipment, antennas, and towers
  • Improvements and betterments
  • Building materials and supplies

I haven’t ever thought about this before, I drove by a deer stand that was about 8x20, with log cabin siding, tin roofline, regular windows and doors, and it had a deck on it, and I thought, do people insure their deer stands? I am sure this one had to be easily $10,000.

I have wondered about mine before that wind would blow it down, or a tree fall on it. But I only have about $1500 in mine.

Sure you didn't drive past my house? :emoji_laughing:

I own an insurance agency and we had 6 or 7 stands blow over. In this case the company is covering them. My gut says that they will require them to be listed on the policy and maybe secured a certain way in the future. They are getting more expensive and can be susceptible to straight line winds!

I know the county tax appraiser has came out to measure mine to make sure I didnt need a building permit, and my next years taxes did go up and it listed site improvements as a reason. The only thing that changed was I planted more apple trees, and built a deer stand.

No, on a hill in the woods, overlooking a field.

What do think my premium will be on this Cadillac?

Attachments

• 657080B8-13F1-4EE3-89D2-8F2CC4CFF6F8.jpeg
    657080B8-13F1-4EE3-89D2-8F2CC4CFF6F8.jpeg
    272.1 KB · Views: 3
What do think my premium will be on this Cadillac?
I'm no insurance agent, but my guess is, that one will be expensive. I constantly see those things blowing around at the lake. Its definitely a high risk item. It could even get categorized as an "attractive nuisance" like a trampoline, because those have been known to draw in storms.