Staking and tying grafted trees

cavey

5 year old buck +
I was out last night messing around with pulling my graft tape, labeling and staking my new trees. Usually I just tie them up with that plastic garden ribbon stuff or marker ribbons but this stuff works so well that I thought I would share. Down side is it a bit pricey for what I'm doing but It works really nice and is super easy to adjust and position.... I'm always about trying to make things easier when it comes to grafting. I like this in part because you can form a bit of a loop which allows the tree to move a bit - hopefully strengthening the trunk more then one tied tighter to the stake. I use the 3-4 foot coated fiber glass rods you can buy at Fleet-farm as stakes. The coated wire really grabs on and can be easily undone and moved and Im assuming reused for multiple years.

Attachments

• IMG_3309.JPG
    IMG_3309.JPG
    298 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3310.JPG
    IMG_3310.JPG
    317.1 KB · Views: 27
Nice idea! I've been using just the green tape but I like that idea....the tape just seems to be either too loose or too tight.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I've been using twist ties. I bought a thousand of them for a few dollars through amazon. They are not quite as nice as what you are using, but they work just as well for me.