Squirrels and Apples

MNFISH

A good 3 year old buck

Last edited:
I had an apple tree outside my apt deck in Duluth. The squirrels partnered with the deer to eat up those crab apples.

I watched a squirrel grab a pear off a tree this week.

I watched a squirrel eat an apple while I was deer hunting and then it stashed it in the crotch of the tree branch to eat latter.

Just remembered, I have some evidence of the crime:

That tree still needs to be released...

^^^ Classic Kabic!

So let's see....I cage the fruit tree to protect it from the rabbits, deer browsing it, bucks rubbing it. Screen the fruit tree so the voles don't girdle it. And now I have to net the entire tree to keep the squirrels from eating the apples. HOW WILL A DEER EVER GET ONE SINGLE APPLE? :confused::D
Eat more squirrel. I have to imagine a fall apple-fattened squirrel would be pretty tasty. Those of us that haven't killed a deer since the last stock market crash have to take protein where we can find it.

[QUOTE="MNFISH, post: 74837, member: 4

Isn't doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results....INSANITY! :D[/QUOTE]

Naww..that's just called voting.

I have a Keiffer pear right outside my back door. I fight with the squirrels every year. they will carry off a fully grown pear that must weight almost as much as they do. This year they seem to be upset because the pears are so small due to lack of rain.

Stu - post # 6 - Seems I've heard that advice before somewhere ...... ?? ;):D

Bur - post #10 - LOVE IT !!!! :p

Thankfully don't have squirrel probs due to being surrounded by oaks, pines & hemlocks. Squirrels have buffet goldmine without resorting to apples/crabs. We DO have furry creatures on a slightly larger scale ......:( ....... not gray or red, but black. Trade ya ?????

How about raccoons?

Milorganite will keep animals away.

NY Terrence - We have coons around, but not many. The ones we do have seem to be more interested in the crayfish, frogs, salamanders in our pond - so far.

For the second time in the past few years, every apple disappeared on my +/- 15 year old Fuji tree in a week's time. We are thinking it was raccoons, but no evidence.