Spreading seed right before snow fall

Bryan

Yearling... With promise
I posted a month ago about a plot I have that I only plant fall food plots in. I generally leave it black in the spring and early summer until I plant in mid July. I would like to have something growing in there during the early months to help the soil and possibly provide some forage for the deer. I thought perhaps I would try winter rye first. My question is, Can I spread that seed this winter once we get a few inches of snow so it's ready to grow in the spring or should I wait to spread it in the spring and disc the ground up and all that good stuff. Or should I be planting something else altogether. My ph and nutrients in my soil now are pretty good, it's gravely ground that goes down into low lying slough ground. My plots generally grow good but can dry out if I don't get adequate moisture. I live in Northern MN. Thanks

What's growing there now? Most likely you can spread winter rye into it now or during the coming weeks. It will establish itself before winter and will be there as soon as the snow melts in the spring.

I posted a month ago about a plot I have that I only plant fall food plots in. I generally leave it black in the spring and early summer until I plant in mid July. I would like to have something growing in there during the early months to help the soil and possibly provide some forage for the deer. I thought perhaps I would try winter rye first. My question is, Can I spread that seed this winter once we get a few inches of snow so it's ready to grow in the spring or should I wait to spread it in the spring and disc the ground up and all that good stuff. Or should I be planting something else altogether. My ph and nutrients in my soil now are pretty good, it's gravely ground that goes down into low lying slough ground. My plots generally grow good but can dry out if I don't get adequate moisture. I live in Northern MN. Thanks

If you want spring forage, plant your winter rye in the fall with clover. The WR will be the attractant in the fall, and the clover will become the food source in the spring when the wr is less palatable.

Thanks,

Jack