Spraying after LC mix

ruskbucks

5 year old buck +
How many of you spray your lick creek mix before planting brassica. I'm going to get in the rotation and plant oats/rye/ and red clover as early as I can this spring. I will be planting brassicas come July. Will I need to spray first to terminate clover/oats or will it turn out fine if I just disc/cultipack and seed?

this probably isnt of any help to you for what you are proposing....but I spray because i dont have a disk, cultipacker or a machine to pull either with. I would think you would be good to go with the method you are describing...worst case scenario you end up with clover, oats and rye in your brassica plot.

However, you could encounter some unwanted weeds as you disturb the soil and bring some weed seed up that would have other wise remained dormant in minus the disking.

I have done it both ways, this last year I just disced it a couple times and planted and cultipacked. When you burn it down you'll get a better looking plot to the eyes but what I've seen is it doesn't matter to the deer what the plot looks like. Like Phil said you might have some clover in your brassicas but IMO it doesn't matter and it takes less time to do by just discing and palnting. Here's some pics of what I did last year. This is the cereal portion of the rotation so the fall of 13 I planted this and around the 4th of July I palnted my brassicas into this.

I clipped the rye a couple weeks before discing so it;s easier to disc.

I had a bunch of patial bags of different types of clover when I planted.

After hitting it a couple times with the disc.

Planted and cultipacked.

On the outside of this plot I have a 10-12' strip of clover

THis is what I had when the brassicas came up, some clover in there but they did good.

Around labor day I took a bout 8' and planted cereal grains back in there.

This was on 9/20 looking the other way from the previous pics

Hope this helps.

I have done it both ways, this last year I just disced it a couple times and planted and cultipacked. When you burn it down you'll get a better looking plot to the eyes but what I've seen is it doesn't matter to the deer what the plot looks like. Like Phil said you might have some clover in your brassicas but IMO it doesn't matter and it takes less time to do by just discing and palnting. Here's some pics of what I did last year. This is the cereal portion of the rotation so the fall of 13 I planted this and around the 4th of July I palnted my brassicas into this.

I clipped the rye a couple weeks before discing so it;s easier to disc.

I had a bunch of patial bags of different types of clover when I planted.

After hitting it a couple times with the disc.

Planted and cultipacked.

On the outside of this plot I have a 10-12' strip of clover

THis is what I had when the brassicas came up, some clover in there but they did good.

Around labor day I took a bout 8' and planted cereal grains back in there.

This was on 9/20 looking the other way from the previous pics

Hope this helps.
Thanks that was what I was looking for. So there wasn't much for weeds or grass, just mostly clover regrowth?

Thanks that was what I was looking for. So there wasn't much for weeds or grass, just mostly clover regrowth?
I can't say it was weed/grass free but they weren't bad at all, this is the third year of doing the LC rotation. It seems like the cereal grain/ clover chokes out a lot of them.