Spotted Lanternfly News

greyphase

5 year old buck +
An article on NAFEX's facebook page says that two native fungi have been decimating the Spotted Lanternfly near Reading Pa. Nice to see that an invasive insect has run into a natural predator. :)

Wow, interesting. Funny, I was just going to start searching for the old threads on these. I think BnB started one. I was wondering what the latest was on this insect. I read a few articles yesterday. They were recommending certain insecticides. Learned that they like Tree of heaven and grape vines possibly the most, but also many other fruit trees. I didn't read anywhere about pears being on the list. Made me wonder if a guy should be going with a few extra pears as a hedge. Thought I read that they found them in Michigan now, but I want to double check that.

Edit: Not found in Michigan yet, but article states that since the eggs can travel around on cars, that they'll eventually be everywhere

Last edited:
That’s good news!
Now we need a pine bark beetle fungus....

Greyphase - Thanks for posting !! That IS good news !! I just heard that in a news report yesterday as well. I can tell you that lantern flies like maple trees too. They were all over ours in the front yard last 2 years. Per the advice of a registered arborist, I used a soil drench around that maple tree and killed maybe 1000 lantern flies once they sucked the sap from it. The arborist told me to use Bayer Advanced Tree & Shrub Protection as a soil drench. It's a systemic insecticide that goes through the whole plant. The lantern flies were literally piled up around the base of that maple. The arborist also said the best way to control the young nymph stage of lantern fly is to place sticky tree bands around tree trunks. (think fly paper). The nymphs' daily routine is to go up & down the tree trunk - so you either get 'em on the way up, or on the way down. Once captured, they can't become adults to be able to lay eggs.

Mortenson - It was me that started the thread on spotted lantern fly as you suspected. The fact that 2 native fungi have been found to be deadly to lantern flies is music to my ears !!! Grape vineyard owners are gonna be dancing over this news.

Tree of Heaven is also a foreign invasive tree from Asia. Beside being the preferred feeding tree for spotted lantern flies, it's an invasive tree that will choke out native trees with it's expansive, underground root system. If you cut one off, 20 more will pop up from the roots. AND they put out TONS of seed so birds and wind spread them too. Fortunately, a native fungus has been found to kill Tree of Heaven too. Now, the state of Pa. Bureau of Forestry is beginning to infect T.O.H. by what is basically a "hack & squirt" with that fungus. The killing effect was discovered when a stand of T.O.H. in south-central Pa. was found dying and no human intervention had been done. So Penn State U. and I believe U. West Va. along with several government agencies researched what was killing the T.O.H. in that stand. Once the pathogen was identified, tests were done to verify it's effects.

Last edited:
...Fortunately, a native fungus has been found to kill Tree of Heaven too. Now, the state of Pa. Bureau of Forestry is beginning to infect T.O.H. by what is basically a "hack & squirt" with that fungus. The killing effect was discovered when a stand of T.O.H. in south-central Pa. was found dying and no human intervention had been done. So Penn State U. and I believe U. West Va. along with and several government agencies researched what was killing the T.O.H. in that stand. Once the pathogen was identified, tests were done to verify it's effects.

Wish they could find a native fungus that would kill Lonicera japonica and similar honeysuckles. I have ripped out thousands of those over the last 5+ years. Every year I make solid progress but its alot of work.
The H-n-S with herbicides and diesel fuel work but its still alot of contaminants you are introducing into the ecosystem plus you still have to rip out the small ones.

North Potter ^^^^ - We have some kind of plant coming up at camp that I need the forester to ID for me. It's growing in a thick patch - maybe a viburnum of some sort - but I want to see what it is so if we need to kill it, I can put the clinkers to it. I'm not up on the various honeysuckles. Maybe it's some kind of honeysuckle.

Lantern flies have been found in N.Y., Va., and I believe Delaware, beside Pa. All the trucks and equipment from a newly-built power plant near my home went to another state last summer. I wonder how many egg masses were stuck to those vehicles as they left a highly infested lantern fly area - carrying them to new locations.

Last edited:
Found these bastards on my backyard willow today. NOT happy. I heard they were south of here but haven’t heard of them in Monroe county yet.

Anyone know of an effective way to kill them? I just doused then in sevin because I had some sitting around but I’m not sure that will work.83E2F037-4D79-4110-8CCE-A9243250006C.jpeg

I'm not sure if there is a specific insecticide for them, but permethrin has been effective for me against most bugs.

Sevin kills everything. I am at the Jersey Shore for the week and they are flying a plane with a banner with these bugs on it. I figured I was the only one on the beach that had ever heard of them.

NE PA QDM - What are those bugs in post #7. I haven't seen anything like that here.

We have far fewer spotted lantern flies here around home this year. Thank God for that. There is a fungus affecting them, I've read. We need more of that fungus.

Stolen from psu.67EF418B-4389-440F-9931-E3B8D184DA62.png