Speed while spraying.

Catscratch

5 year old buck +
Just curious as to what you guys have calculated out (or bs'd)? How fast do you drive your atv boom sprayer? I'm guessing most of ya have a 10' boom in one of the cheaper models (Firmco, northern, etc) and drive between 6 and 8 mph.

I do most everything at 3.5 to 4 MPH. Easier on my body and easier on my equipment.....and makes for easy figuring.....if you have a small brain. Grin.

When I was using my ATV for spraying I found 4 MPH to work out great for a 25 gallon tank for 1 acre. HOWEVER, I had great difficulty maintains 4 MPH with the ATV. Almost impossible. Always too fast or too slow. Remedy was to just drive 8 MPH and go around twice. Much easier to maintain speed. Once I started using the tractor then it was much easier to maintain 4 MPH

I have exactly what you describe - Northern Tool, 5gpm pump, 10’ boom sprayer.

At 4-6 mph and 40 psi, I dump 25 gallons on an acre and hope for the best. It’s hard to keep the speed right and it’s not always easy to see your previous pass…..so you get both misses and double coverage. At least I do.

It works for now but one day I’ll get something better. Tractor based.

When I was using my ATV for spraying I found 4 MPH to work out great for a 25 gallon tank for 1 acre. HOWEVER, I had great difficulty maintains 4 MPH with the ATV. Almost impossible. Always too fast or too slow. Remedy was to just drive 8 MPH and go around twice. Much easier to maintain speed. Once I started using the tractor then it was much easier to maintain 4 MPH
Low range makes a big difference to control speed.

Just curious as to what you guys have calculated out (or bs'd)? How fast do you drive your atv boom sprayer? I'm guessing most of ya have a 10' boom in one of the cheaper models (Firmco, northern, etc) and drive between 6 and 8 mph.

I calibrate my Fimco for multiple tractor gears at a 500 RPM PTO speed. I have a PTO pump on mine. I choose my gear based on conditions before I load the sprayer. I like to drive in the highest gear that is comfortable to me in the seat. That uses less water so I have to refill less frequently.

All of my non-backpack sprayer spraying to date has been with a 15 gal fimco 2 nozzle boom atv sprayer. I found that i was getting about an acre out of a full tank @ 4-5 MPH.

I'll likely change that up a bit to get better coverage after having some green strips left after spraying. It seems my nozzles spray at least 1 ATV width outside my tires so I was spacing my ATV travel about 1.5 ATV width between outside tire tracks so there would be a little overlap. I believe i was getting a good kill a little wider than the atv tires where the 2 nozzles overlap and getting insufficient coverage much outside of my tires.

I also have a 41 gallon northstar pull type with a 7 nozzle boom but I planned to use that largely to water trees on our 6 acres at home and use as a backup when the fimco craps out (like it has in the past). I'm nervous to take it back to tree watering duty if I use it for herbicide but I bet the 7 nozzle boom would get more consistent coverage.

My guess of 6-8mph seems to be off quite a bit. Honestly figured that would be the speed due to how hard it is to drive an atv slower but not necessarily due to correct coverage. I find myself creeping up on speed anyway.
Yoderjack, I've read your post several times and have yet to figure out how fast you drive your atv sprayer. :)

My yami kodiak 700 in low effortlessly cruises at a consistent 4 mph (according the speedo at least). Probably some differences in how quads are geared/clutched that impacts that though?

My guess of 6-8mph seems to be off quite a bit. Honestly figured that would be the speed due to how hard it is to drive an atv slower but not necessarily due to correct coverage. I find myself creeping up on speed anyway.
Yoderjack, I've read your post several times and have yet to figure out how fast you drive your atv sprayer. :)

Sorry, I missed the "atv" in your original post. My atv sprayer is boomless.

I have a 25 gal. fimco boom sprayer. I drive as close to 4 MPH as I can. Stuff seems to die.

I have a fimco, 10 ft boom with seven nozzles, 30 psi, 10 gallons of water at 5 mph will do one acre for me.

With our ATV sprayers, we offer a very helpful calculation tool on our tech help page on our website. http://sprayit.pentair.com/en/by-application
This will help calculate the missing link: nozzles, speed, nozzle spacing, application rate, solution density, or pressure.
Just look for the nozzle you are using and calibrate! Hope this helps :)